How Do I Correctly Evaluate the Integral Over [0,2pi] of √(t^2+2) dt?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Alexx1
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
I have to find: [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{t^2+2} dt[/tex]

I found that [tex]\int \sqrt{t^2+2} dt = \frac{t\sqrt{t^2+2}}{2} - arcsin(\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}) + c[/tex]

But when I fill in [tex]2\pi[/tex] I get: [tex]\frac{2\pi \sqrt{4\pi ^2+2}}{2}- arcsin(\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

but [tex]arcsin(\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{2}})[/tex] doesn't exist..

Have I done something wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you found wrongly!

We have:
[tex]\int\sqrt{t^{2}+a^{2}}dt=a\int\sqrt{1+(\frac{t}{a})^{2}}dt[/tex].

Use the substitution:
[tex]\frac{t}{a}=sinh(u)[/tex], sinh being the hyperbolic sine, rather than the trigonometric sine.
(Using the identity: [tex]cosh^{2}(u)-sinh^{2}(u)=1[/tex]
We then get:
[tex]dt=acosh(u)du[/tex]

And your integral becomes:
[tex]a^{2}\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du[/tex]
This is easily integrated:
[tex]I=\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{sinh^{2}(u)du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{cosh^{2}(u)-1}du[/tex]
That is:
[tex]2I=u+sinh(u)cosh(u)[/tex]
or:
[tex]I=\frac{u}{2}+\frac{sinh(u)\sqrt{sinh^{2}(u)+1}}{2}[/tex]

Now, you can readily re-substitute for t/a=sinh(u), gaining:
[tex]\frac{a^{2}}{2}sinh^{-1}(\frac{t}{a})+\frac{t\sqrt{t^{2}+a^{2}}}{2}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
arildno said:
Well, you found wrongly!

We have:
[tex]\int\sqrt{t^{2}+a^{2}}dt=a\int\sqrt{1+(\frac{t}{a})^{2}}dt[/tex].

Use the substitution:
[tex]\frac{t}{a}=sinh(u)[/tex], sinh being the hyperbolic sine, rather than the trigonometric sine.
(Using the identity: [tex]cosh^{2}(u)-sinh^{2}(u)=1[/tex]
We then get:
[tex]dt=acosh(u)du[/tex]

And your integral becomes:
[tex]a^{2}\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du[/tex]
This is easily integrated:
[tex]I=\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{sinh^{2}(u)du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{cosh^{2}(u)-1}du[/tex]
That is:
[tex]2I=u+sinh(u)cosh(u)[/tex]
or:
[tex]I=\frac{u}{2}+\frac{sinh(u)\sqrt{sinh^{2}(u)-1}}{2}[/tex]

Now, you can readily re-substitute for t/a=sinh(u)

Thanks! Now I found it!
 
I made a sign error in the last square root expression, that has been fixed.