How Do I Denote an Interval of Integration in LaTeX?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 25K views
omegacore
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Latex Question:

I am having a hell of a time finding how to put the large vertical bar used to denote the interval over which a definite integral should be evaluated. Can you please help me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually you put those with the integral sign:

\int_A^B f(x)\, dx

[tex]\int_A^B f(x)\, dx[/tex]Once you have evaluated the corresponding indefinite integral you need to evaluate it at the integration limits to determine the value of the definite integral.

\left.F(x)\right|_A^B

[tex]\left.F(x)\right|_A^B[/tex]The trick is to use an invisible \left part (\left.) paired with a visible vertical bar \right part (\right|).
An alternate approach is to use big honkin' elements. Getting bigr and Bigr and biggr and Biggr,

F(x)\bigr|_A^B, F(x)\Bigr|_A^B, F(x)\biggr|_A^B, F(x)\Biggr|_A^B

[tex]F(x)\bigr|_A^B[/tex]

[tex]F(x)\Bigr|_A^B[/tex]

[tex]F(x)\biggr|_A^B[/tex]

[tex]F(x)\Biggr|_A^B[/tex]
 
Thank you very much! It looks great!

I was very surprised this wasn't actually detailed somewhere already. In my searching I also learned about the cancel package, which you can use to show expressions canceling to zero or one or whatever!