How do I determine torque required to accelerate

In summary, the equation relating torque and angular acceleration is w=wo+at. To determine the torque required to uniformly accelerate the object about the vertical axis XX from rest to 50 rpm in 5 seconds, first determine equation relating torque and angular acceleration, then use the second moment of area for each shape to calculate the torque required.
Gizmo72
Referring to the attached diagram, how do I determine the torque required to uniformly accelerate the object about the vertical axis XX from rest to 50 rpm in 5 seconds?

Attachments

• Torque Q.jpg
    Torque Q.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 504
Engineering news on Phys.org
First step: Determine equation relating torque and angular acceleration.

What I have so far is
w = 50rpm = (50x2pi)/60 = 5.23 rad/s
w = wo+at
a=(5.23-0)/5 = 1.046rad/s^2
T=mr^2a
T=68x.05x1.046 0.17782Nm

But now I'm thinking I need to be using T=Iga (Moment of Inertia x acceleration) but I can't work out how to calculate the moment of inertia...i've only ever done that for a uniformly shaped object e.g. a cylinder.

Don't know, I may be just confusing myself as usual

Well, do you know how to calculate the I for an object which is made up of several smaller objects?

No, that's where I'm stuck...I am on the right track though with my assuming I need the moment of inertia?

I could guess that I calculate the "I" for each of the smaller objects then take the average?

you can calculate the second moment of area for each shape then

moment of inertia = mass per unit area x second moment of area
second moment of area for a triangle is bh^3 / 36
for a rectangle is bd^3 / 12
for a semis circle its 0.1102 R^4

then all you need to do is use the moment of inertia in the formula torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration

OK, thanks for that. I'll give it a go

You'll need to calculate the mass moment of inertia of the different shapes and combine them. FYI, the mass moment of inertia is generally not equal to mass per unit area x second moment of area. You are dealing with 3-dimensional bodies.

This Table gives the moment of inertis for various shapes about various orthogonal axii:

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/mech324/Labs/Lab%2010/images/moment%20of%20inertia%20table.jpg

Use the Parallel Axis Theorem to get specific moments of inertia for each shape.

Bob S

1. What is torque and how does it relate to acceleration?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is directly related to acceleration because the greater the torque applied to an object, the greater the acceleration it will experience.

2. How do I calculate torque required for acceleration?

To calculate the torque required for acceleration, you will need to know the mass of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is being applied, and the angular acceleration. Then, use the formula torque = mass x distance x angular acceleration.

3. Can I determine torque required for acceleration without knowing the angular acceleration?

No, in order to calculate torque for acceleration, you will need to know the angular acceleration. This is because torque is directly proportional to angular acceleration, so without knowing one, you cannot accurately determine the other.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the torque required for acceleration?

The distribution of mass does affect the torque required for acceleration. Objects with a greater distance between the axis of rotation and the center of mass will require less torque for the same amount of acceleration compared to objects with a smaller distance between the two.

5. Is there a maximum torque that can be applied for acceleration?

Yes, there is a maximum torque that can be applied for acceleration. This is determined by the physical limitations of the object, such as its mass and strength. Applying torque beyond this limit can cause the object to break or fail to accelerate.