1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do i determine which valence is being used (balancing equations)

1. Jul 29, 2011 #1
    In balancing chemical equations, we are given lets say the reactants side of the equation and asked to find the products and balance if neccesary, if a metal(usually transition) has multiple valences, how do i know which of the valences is being used?

this has given me trouble to no end @_@

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2011 #2
    for instance look at this, Au has a valence of +1, +2 and +3 so how would i know beforehand which valence they are using? This equation is already balanced and the work is done for us, but in case it isnt, how do i determine that?

4. Jul 29, 2011 #3
    here we go

I know the polyatomic ions have only 1 valence so thats not the problem, the sulphate has a valence of 2

This is a website i got off someone on these forums a few days ago, it shows what i am talking about, some of them have several valences..

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa122002a.htm

hope you can see the attachment i have linked in this thread.

Attached Files:

5. Jul 29, 2011 #4
    You know the valence by looking at the salts shown. For instance, in Au2(SO4)3, the valence of the gold has to be +3 for each gold ion to balance the +2 of each of the 3 sulfate ions. The bromide salts are even easier.

6. Jul 30, 2011 #5
    pmsrw is correct. If they are giving it to you as a free metal the valence is 0. Otherwise you look at the compound it is in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook