1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why must chemical equations be balanced?

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why must chemical equations be balanced (check all that apply).

(a) In a balanced chemical equation, the coefficients in front of each reactant and product allow us to predict how much reactants are required to form a given amount of products.

(b) In a balanced chemical equation, the coefficients in front of each reactant and product allow us to predict whether the given reaction is possible or not.

(c) In a balanced chemical equation, the coefficients in front of each reactant and product allow us to predict whether the reaction requires a catalyst or not.

(d) In a balanced chemical equation, the coefficients in front of each reactant and product allow us to predict the amount of product that can form from a given amount of reactant.

(e) In a balanced chemical equation, the coefficients in front of each reactant and product allow us to predict how much of one reactant is required to react with a given amount of another.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I chose everything except for c, but it is wrong. All the other ones seem correct to me and I don't see how a balanced equation can tell you anything about a catalyst, so I'm assuming one of the ones I chose is incorrect, but I'm not sure which one(s).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And, there is an incorrect answer in there, so, let's take 'em one at a time.
    "A?" And your reasoning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted