Balancing chemical equations polystomics and H2O + CO2/NO2

• Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the given conversation discusses two chemical equations and their products, (NH4)2S + HNO3 = ? and LiHCO3 + HClO = ?. While the suggested products for (NH4)2S + HNO3 are H2S + NH4NO3 or H2S + NO2 + H2O, the correct identification of products does not ensure a balanced reaction equation. Similarly, for the second equation, LiHCO3 + HOCl = LiOCl + H2O + CO2 is a possible answer, but the involvement of a weak acid, HOCl, makes the solution more complicated. Therefore, unless the concept of equilibrium calculations has been learned, it is not necessary
AMan24

Homework Statement

(NH4)2S + HNO3 = ? - main problem

LiHCO3 + HClO = ? - check just in case problem

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it has to equal H2S + NH4NO3
Or H2S + NO2 + H2O

I've used multiple online chemical balancing calculators and they all give me different answers.

There's also the 2nd problem which I'm 99% sure on but just to be sure. I think it equals

LiClO + H2O + CO2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AMan24 said:
I think it has to equal H2S + NH4NO3

Sounds reasonable as a first approximation (although it depends a bit on the level - sulfides can be oxidized by the nitric acid, making things more complicated). Note - correct identification of the products doesn't mean the reaction equation is balanced.

Reaction of the carbonate with acid is very similar. No, there is no LiClO produced (actually hypochlorite is typically written as LiOCl).

Likes AMan24
Borek said:
Sounds reasonable as a first approximation (although it depends a bit on the level - sulfides can be oxidized by the nitric acid, making things more complicated). Note - correct identification of the products doesn't mean the reaction equation is balanced.

Reaction of the carbonate with acid is very similar. No, there is no LiClO produced (actually hypochlorite is typically written as LiOCl).

I meant to write LiHCO3 + HOCl = LiOCl + H2O + CO2
Instead of LiHCO3 + HCl = LiOCl + H2O + CO2

And thanks for the help

AMan24 said:
I meant to write LiHCO3 + HOCl = LiOCl + H2O + CO2

This one is actually much more complicated, as HOCl is a weak acid. No idea what kind of answer is expected (on some level the one you gave can be OK, even if technically it is not correct). But - unless you have already learned about equilibrium calculations - you shouldn't worry.

Likes AMan24

1. What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, showing the starting materials (reactants) on the left side and the resulting products on the right side.

2. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to adjust the number of atoms of each element on both sides of the equation by adding coefficients in front of the chemical formulas. This ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed, where the total number of atoms before and after the reaction remains the same.

3. What is polyatomic ion in a chemical equation?

A polyatomic ion is a charged molecule made up of two or more atoms that act as a single unit in chemical reactions. They are often present in chemical equations and should be treated as a single entity when balancing the equation.

4. What is the role of H2O in a chemical equation?

H2O, or water, can play different roles in a chemical equation. It can act as a reactant, product, or a solvent in which the reaction takes place. In the context of balancing equations, water is often added to balance the number of hydrogen and oxygen atoms on both sides of the equation.

5. How do you handle coefficients in a chemical equation?

Coefficients in a chemical equation represent the number of molecules of each substance involved in the reaction. They can be changed to balance the equation, but the subscripts within a chemical formula should never be changed as they represent the number of atoms in a molecule.