1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Balancing chemical equations polystomics and H2O + CO2/NO2

1. Apr 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(NH4)2S + HNO3 = ? - main problem

LiHCO3 + HClO = ? - check just in case problem

2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it has to equal H2S + NH4NO3
    Or H2S + NO2 + H2O

I've used multiple online chemical balancing calculators and they all give me different answers.

There's also the 2nd problem which I'm 99% sure on but just to be sure. I think it equals

LiClO + H2O + CO2

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sounds reasonable as a first approximation (although it depends a bit on the level - sulfides can be oxidized by the nitric acid, making things more complicated). Note - correct identification of the products doesn't mean the reaction equation is balanced.

Reaction of the carbonate with acid is very similar. No, there is no LiClO produced (actually hypochlorite is typically written as LiOCl).

4. Apr 4, 2016 #3
    I meant to write LiHCO3 + HOCl = LiOCl + H2O + CO2
    Instead of LiHCO3 + HCl = LiOCl + H2O + CO2

And thanks for the help

5. Apr 4, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

This one is actually much more complicated, as HOCl is a weak acid. No idea what kind of answer is expected (on some level the one you gave can be OK, even if technically it is not correct). But - unless you have already learned about equilibrium calculations - you shouldn't worry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted