How do I edit the text of foreground service notifications?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edit Text
In summary, the conversation revolved around creating a timer that continues to run on the lock screen after the power button is pressed. The person had attempted to use a foreground notification for this and referenced code from a specific page. However, they encountered an issue with the setContentText and setContentTitle methods not working. Upon further investigation, they realized that the problem was due to not setting an icon with the setSmallIcon method. Once the icon was set, the text and title were able to be changed successfully.
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I'd like to run a timer in a foreground notification. I thought I could use the setContextText command for this, but it doesn't change the text in the notification at all.
Hi everyone

I'd like to make a timer that continues to run on the lock screen after the power button is pressed. I thought I could use a foreground notification for this and used code from this page:

In particular, I thought I could modify the following lines of code:

notification:
  Notification.Builder notification = new Notification.Builder(this, CHANNELID)
                .setContentText("Activity Recognition is running....")
                .setContentTitle("Obesity Point");

However, it seems setContentText and setContentTitle do nothing. No matter what I put in the quotation marks, my notification title is " Timer is running" and the text is "Tap for more information or to stop the app".

How do I change the text and title?

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Nevermind. The problem was that I didn't set an icon with .setSmallIcon. The text changes now that I've done that.

Likes Tom.G

1. How do I access the text of foreground service notifications?

In order to access the text of foreground service notifications, you will need to first create a foreground service by extending the Service class and setting it as the foreground service in your app's manifest file. Then, within your service's onStartCommand() method, you can use the startForeground() method to display a notification with the desired text.

2. Can I edit the text of a foreground service notification after it has been displayed?

Yes, you can edit the text of a foreground service notification after it has been displayed. You will need to use the NotificationManager class to retrieve the notification and then use the NotificationCompat.Builder class to make any desired changes to the text before updating the notification.

3. How do I change the appearance of the foreground service notification?

To change the appearance of the foreground service notification, you can use the NotificationCompat.Builder class to set various attributes such as the notification icon, title, and text. Additionally, you can use the setStyle() method to customize the layout of the notification.

4. Can I use HTML tags in the text of a foreground service notification?

Yes, you can use HTML tags in the text of a foreground service notification. However, not all HTML tags are supported and may not display as expected on all devices. It is recommended to use basic formatting such as bold or italics to ensure compatibility.

5. How can I make the foreground service notification more noticeable to the user?

To make the foreground service notification more noticeable, you can use the setPriority() method in the NotificationCompat.Builder class to set the notification's priority to high or max. Additionally, you can use the setSound() method to play a sound when the notification is displayed.