How do I evaluate double integral as the limit of a sum

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to evaluate a double integral as the limit of a sum, specifically for a snowflake region created by dividing a square into smaller squares. The conversation goes through the steps of finding the limit and using a recursive formula to calculate the area. Resources and examples are provided to help with the process of finding the limit and calculating the area.
squenshl
How do I evaluate double integral as the limit of a sum: [tex]\int\int[/tex] 1 dA with a snowflake region constructed as follows:
Step 1: Start with a square of area 1 unit2.
Step 2: Divide each edge into 3 and construct a smaller square on the middle third, thus creating new edges.
Step 3: Repeat step 2.
I know to use a simple geometric series but not sure how to use it or work put this integral.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
First try to find the answer to this: in the nth step, how many new triangles do you add. What is the length of the sides of these new triangles? Then what is their surface? What is the total surface area added in this step?

Ignore the integral crap. What you're doing here is simply finding the area inside a fractal.

The three steps you have been given produces the iterations of the fractal. You can think of this as a sequence {S_i} of shapes (where S_0 is a square). From this sequence, you can produce another sequence {A_i}, where A_i is the area of S_i (so A_0 = 1, since the area of a unit square is 1).

The question is to find the limit of {A_i}.

To do this, there are two steps:

Step 1) Find the formula for A_i.
Step 2) Find the limit of A_i.

Step 1 is going to be finding a recursive formula for A_i. That means something like...

A_0 = 1
A_(i+1) = A_i + (something something), for i > 0

Once you have this formula, choose a really big number n and figure out what A_n is on your calculator. This will give you an idea of what lim {A_i} is. Once you think you know the limit, try and find a proof.

Did you get there in the end? There's a nice walkthough here of the process of calculating the area of the classic triangular version.

http://ecademy.agnesscott.edu/~lriddle/ifs/ksnow/area.htm

Tac-Tics's step 1 is the same, in principle, for a square with square growths, it's just the numbers that are different. It's simpler for a square because the area is 1 when the side-length is 1. Step 2, in either case, is a matter of finding the sum of a geometric series [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_series#Sum ]. I used Wolfram Alpha to check my answer.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sum

(One quirk I've found though is that sometimes, with a complicated formula, it only gives me the infinite sum when I don't type ", for n=0 to infinity" after it!)

Another page about the Koch snowflake (the classic triangular variant of the Koch island fractal) that I came across purports to calculate the area for the case where the area of the initial triangle is 1. I think the principles are right here, but I reckon they've made a numerical mistake (it should be 48 triangles added on the third iteration) which affects their result. I get 1.6 times the area of the initial triangle.

http://library.thinkquest.org/26242/full/fm/fm16.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I set up the limits of integration for a double integral?

The limits of integration for a double integral are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over. To set up the limits, you can draw a sketch of the region and determine the range of values for each variable.

2. What is the difference between a double integral and a single integral?

A double integral involves integrating over a region in two dimensions, while a single integral integrates over a one-dimensional interval. In other words, a double integral calculates the volume under a surface, while a single integral calculates the area under a curve.

3. How do I evaluate a double integral as the limit of a sum?

To evaluate a double integral as the limit of a sum, you can use the Riemann sum method. This involves dividing the region into smaller rectangles and approximating the integral by summing the areas of these rectangles. As the number of rectangles approaches infinity, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the actual value of the integral.

4. What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral as the limit of a sum?

Evaluating a double integral as the limit of a sum allows us to calculate the area or volume of irregular regions or shapes that cannot be easily integrated using traditional methods. It also helps in understanding the concept of integration and its relationship to the area under a curve or surface.

5. Can I use a computer to evaluate a double integral as the limit of a sum?

Yes, you can use a computer or calculator to evaluate a double integral as the limit of a sum. There are many software programs and online calculators available that can perform this calculation for you. However, it is still important to understand the concept and be able to manually evaluate a double integral as the limit of a sum.