Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find an isomorphism between Sn+m and Zn x Zm?

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1
    How do I find an isomorphism between Sn+m and Zn x Zm? provided n,m are not relatively prime? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I dunno, place an ad in the classifieds, put up posters, etc. Or maybe start by defining what you even mean by Sn+m, because in the standard notation, Sn+m is a group that's generally not isomorphic to Zn x Zm. Also, post this in the homework section, follow the guidelines for posting homework, and when you start a new thread in the homework section, use the template that will be given to you.

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    Hi, this isn't exactly a homework question... Anyways, rereading my question again, I made a mistake. It should be how do I find an isomorphism between A SUBGROUP in Sn+m and Zn x Zm. If it is specific cases like n,m = 2,2 I can figure it out. But how do I figure out a general form for the isomorphism?

5. Mar 14, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

If there are two subgroups H and K of a group G such that the intersection of H and K is trivial and hk=kh for all h in H, k in K, then the subgroup HK is isomorphic to HxK.

6. Mar 15, 2007 #5
    ah, thanks, I think I have it figured out now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?