1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find an isomorphism between Sn+m and Zn x Zm?

1. Mar 13, 2007 #1
    How do I find an isomorphism between Sn+m and Zn x Zm? provided n,m are not relatively prime? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I dunno, place an ad in the classifieds, put up posters, etc. Or maybe start by defining what you even mean by Sn+m, because in the standard notation, Sn+m is a group that's generally not isomorphic to Zn x Zm. Also, post this in the homework section, follow the guidelines for posting homework, and when you start a new thread in the homework section, use the template that will be given to you.

4. Mar 14, 2007 #3
    Hi, this isn't exactly a homework question... Anyways, rereading my question again, I made a mistake. It should be how do I find an isomorphism between A SUBGROUP in Sn+m and Zn x Zm. If it is specific cases like n,m = 2,2 I can figure it out. But how do I figure out a general form for the isomorphism?

5. Mar 14, 2007 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

If there are two subgroups H and K of a group G such that the intersection of H and K is trivial and hk=kh for all h in H, k in K, then the subgroup HK is isomorphic to HxK.

6. Mar 15, 2007 #5
    ah, thanks, I think I have it figured out now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?