1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My question is about the rules behind the method of finding the solution not necessarily the method itself.

(I am prepping for the GRE subject)

How many mutually nonisomorphic Abelian groups of order 50?

3. The attempt at a solution

so, if understand this correctly, we have 2 of these groups:

1) Z2 + Z5 + Z5

2) Z2 + Z25

However, what I don't understand is why these are mutually nonisomorphic. The theorems presented before this problem state:

The direct sum Zm + Zn is cyclic iff gcd(m,n) = 1. If this is the case, then, since Zm + Zn has order mn, Zm +Zn is isomorphic to Zmn,

So are groups 1 and 2 both isomorphic to Z50 but not isomorphic to each other? which dosen't make sense to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, not at all. Only group (2) is isomorphic to Z50. Group (1) is not cyclic.

How do we prove that (1) and (2) are not isomorphic?? Well, the easiest way is to check the orders of the elements. Prove that (2) has an element of order 25, but (1) does not have such an elements.

4. Aug 8, 2011 #3
    Ok, yes, it makes sense now. For some reason I ignored the gcd(m,n). Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook