How do I find eye protection for my laser cutter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concerns and safety precautions surrounding a recently purchased CO2 laser cutter. The person is unable to find information about the frequency of the laser and is seeking advice on eye protection to avoid any potential harm. It is emphasized that the machine should only be used by someone with proper knowledge and expertise. Additionally, it is noted that the laser beam is not visible without special equipment and should not be tampered with.
kolleamm
I recently received a laser cutter however, I cannot find anywhere not even in the manual what frequency it emits. It's a CO2 machine with a 180 watt laser. It's supposed to be able to cut metal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121881769914

Can someone advise me on eye protection, I don't want to risk my vision.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do not use the machine if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

There is no eye protection that would reduce that laser beam to safe power levels. Do not open the machine, and let an expert (!) make sure that the machine is working properly so the laser beam is fully contained in the machine.

CO2 lasers are infrared, so you don't even see the beam without special equipment.

We won't help you with dangerous activities here.

Likes CalcNerd, Nidum and berkeman

1. How do I determine the appropriate level of eye protection for my laser cutter?

The appropriate level of eye protection for your laser cutter depends on the strength of your laser and the type of material you are cutting. You can consult the laser's user manual or contact the manufacturer for specific recommendations. As a general guideline, laser safety glasses with an optical density of 4 or higher are suitable for most laser cutting applications.

2. Do I need to wear eye protection while operating a laser cutter?

Yes, it is important to wear proper eye protection while operating a laser cutter. Even if the laser is not directly pointed at your eyes, reflections from the material being cut can still be harmful. It is important to take all necessary precautions to protect your eyes from potential damage.

3. Can I use regular safety glasses or goggles for my laser cutter?

No, regular safety glasses or goggles are not suitable for use with a laser cutter. Laser safety glasses have special lenses that are designed to protect your eyes from the specific wavelength of light emitted by the laser. Using the wrong type of eye protection can still result in eye damage.

4. How often should I replace my laser safety glasses?

The lifespan of laser safety glasses depends on factors such as the frequency of use, the intensity of the laser, and the type of material being cut. It is recommended to replace your laser safety glasses every 1-2 years, or sooner if there are any signs of damage or wear.

5. Can I share my laser safety glasses with others?

No, laser safety glasses are not meant to be shared. Each person using the laser cutter should have their own pair of properly fitting and appropriate laser safety glasses. Sharing glasses can lead to improper fit and potential eye damage.