How do i find force and distance in this question

• Thread starter jacob275c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Work
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the work done on a 35 kg bobsled that starts at rest and accelerates to 5 m/s on a horizontal section of a course. The person is confused about how to find force and distance, and whether acceleration refers to velocity or acceleration. They mention using the formula W=Fd, but also consider using the equation f=ma. A suggested alternative approach is to use the relationship between work and energy.
jacob275c
A 35 kg bobsled starts at rest and accelerates to 5 m/s on the horizontal section of the course how much work was done on the bobsled?

i know W=Fd but how do i find force and distance in this problem
i also know that f=ma but what does it mean when says that it accelerates does it means that its velocity or acceleration?
i have tried d=(0)T + (1/2)(5)T but I am not sure how to find time with the information or if that is correct

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jacob275c. Welcome to PF!

Since you don't know F or d, you might take a different approach. Have you studied how work is related to energy?

1. What is force and distance?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the amount of push or pull on an object. Distance is the measure of how far an object has moved.

2. How do I calculate force and distance?

Force can be calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration. Distance can be calculated by multiplying speed by time.

3. What units are used to measure force and distance?

Force is measured in units of newtons (N), while distance is measured in units of meters (m).

4. What information do I need to find force and distance in a question?

You will need to know the mass, acceleration, speed, and time of the object in question.

5. Can force and distance be negative?

Yes, force and distance can be negative. Negative force indicates a push in the opposite direction and negative distance indicates movement in the opposite direction.