1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the distance traveled if I know the acceleration and time?

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    so if A is the acceleration
    and T is time
    and D is distance
    then

D = A * T^2

right????

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3
  5. Jul 19, 2011 #4

berkeman

Please look at the link. The answer is right there in a big box on the front page.

6. Jul 19, 2011 #5
    Sry bud you just sent me a link to a page that contains an HTML frame. go ahead and try that link out for yourself and see. It'll just show the home page.

7. Jul 19, 2011 #6

berkeman

Oopsies. I didn't realize the link didn't follow me down a couple of click levels. I'll have to figure out how to fix that.

In the mean time, just click on Mechanics, and then on Velocity & Acceleration.

Does that work okay?

8. Jul 19, 2011 #7
    Nope, it's (A *T^2 )/2

So 9 seconds and 32 f/s (1g) would cover about one quarter mile, 1320 feet.
    32*81=2592, divide by 2=1296 feet. A true quarter mile would be about 9.08 seconds.

73 Berkeman, AI3N here. 2 meters, 70 cm, 20/30/40/80 voice mainly. Antenna blew down, need one of those air powered potato guns to get the dipole back in the trees!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook