How Do I Find the Point of Inflection in a Cubic Graph?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter garyljc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
garyljc
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
Hey guys ,
I'm currently learning curve sketching
and i was thinking ... what would be the best approach towards finding the point of inflection in a cubic graph . Any suggestions ?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
?? Using the definition- that the second derivative is 0 and the first derivative changes sign there.
 
What do you mean by changes sign ?
I do understand that the sign change in the first derivative means the gradient
the second derivative means whether the curve is concave or convex ...
that's all i know about the signs so far..
do you mind elaborating more ?
thanks
 
My mistake, I meant that the second derivative changes sign there: is positive on one side of the inflection point and negative on the other. Yes, second derivative positive means the curve is "convex" upward and second derivative negative means the curve is "convex" downward ("concave" upward). At an inflection point the concavity changes.
 
i was wondering if there's an definition for convex and concave ... is there ?