Inflection Point Calculation: Reduction of Cubic with Second Derivative Method

Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement
The roots of a general cubic equation in X may be viewed (in the XY-plane) as the intersections of the X-axis with the graph of a cubic of the form, Y = X^3 + AX^2 + BX + C.
(i) Show that the point of inflection of the graph occurs at X = −A/3.
(ii) Deduce (geometrically) that the substitution X = x − A/3 will reduce the above equation to the form Y = x^3 + bx + c.
(iii) Verify this by calculation.
Relevant Equations
Y = X^3 + AX^2 + BX + C
Y = x^3 + bx + c
(i) I take the second derivative of Y: Y'' = 6X + 2A. Y'' = 0 when X = -A/3. Moreover, as Y'' is linear it changes sign at this X. Thus, it is the point of inflection.

(iii) After the substitution, the term x^2 appears twice: one, from X^3 as -3(x^2)(A/3), and another from AX^2 as Ax^2. They cancel. Thus, there is no x^2 term.

(ii) Here I am not sure. The only "geometrical" reasoning I can think of is as follows. The substitution, X = x - A/3 translates the graph of Y in such a way that the inflection point is now at x=0. If the new graph is Y = x^3 + ax^2 + bx +c, its inflection point is at x = -a/3. Thus, a = 0 and Y = x^3 + bx + c.
Is there any other "geometrical deduction"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hill said:
If the new graph is Y = x^3 + ax^2 + bx +c, its inflection point is at x = -a/3. Thus, a = 0 and Y = x^3 + bx + c.
[tex]Y'=3x^2+2ax+b[/tex]
[tex]Y^"=6x+2a[/tex]
Its reflection point is at x=0 there Y"(0)=0.so a=0
The graph is convex upward/downward bordered by inflection point x=0. x^3 and x follow this, but x^2 violates it.

Last edited:
Likes Hill

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the concavity changes, indicating a shift from being concave upwards to concave downwards, or vice versa.

2. How is the reduction of cubic with second derivative method used to calculate inflection points?

The reduction of cubic with second derivative method involves finding the second derivative of a cubic function and setting it equal to zero to solve for the x-values of potential inflection points.

3. What is the significance of inflection points in mathematical analysis?

Inflection points are important in mathematical analysis as they indicate points where the behavior of a function changes from being convex to concave, or vice versa. They are used to identify points of flexion or turning points on a curve.

4. How can inflection points be used in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, inflection points can be used to analyze the behavior of functions in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. They can help in identifying critical points or transitions in a system.

5. Are there alternative methods for calculating inflection points besides the reduction of cubic with second derivative method?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating inflection points, such as using the first and second derivative tests or graphing the function to visually identify points of inflection. Each method has its advantages and may be more suitable depending on the complexity of the function.