How can accommodations improve exam performance for students with disabilities?

• Thread starter XEROX_FAN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades
In summary, the following conversation covers a student's experience getting a D+ on their Physics exam and how they plan to improve for their next exam. The student suggests revising their notes and studying for questions in a different way, as well as getting a tutor.
XEROX_FAN
Hi I am currently in my 2nd Term of Physics in grade 11. I have been getting A's for maths and physics throughout grade 9-10, and then I hit a D+ for physics in grade 11! Wow. I have a physics exam next week, how do you suggest I prepare? I really need an A to drag my mark up a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's strange. If you have a good interest in physics and maths,then that should not happen. Did you get involved in something distracting this year?

You need to identify where you have been going wrong - what has been getting in the way?

Review your past homework and look for similar problems.

Also - get a tutor.

This sounds like a good question for your teacher.

One thing to consider is that perhaps up until now you haven't really needed to apply yourself. Because you always did well, perhaps due to raw intelligence, you had no need to improve your study habits. But now you do.

Likes symbolipoint and CalcNerd
Be prepared for any question you could get. Know how to solve them, practice writing them out. Then you'll be ready.

XEROX said:
Hi I am currently in my 2nd Term of Physics in grade 11. I have been getting A's for maths and physics throughout grade 9-10, and then I hit a D+ for physics in grade 11! Wow. I have a physics exam next week, how do you suggest I prepare? I really need an A to drag my mark up a lot!
Revise your notes and work through some of the exercises you skipped first time through. Check your answers, and where wrong find where you made the mistake before moving on. You can't build on a shaky foundation over another 18 months of any course.

Good luck with your studies!

I am not in high school anymore, but I just started my undergrad and had a similar situation where I got a C on an exam last semester and a C on an exam this semester, even though I understood the subject matter and could tutor other students in it.

What I did to remedy the problem:
- went over the mistakes on my own and then discussed any ambiguities in the grading with the professor. In both cases, I was able to negotiate my grade up by five points via this, which moved my two exams into the B range.
- asked the professor for specific advice on doing well in the future. The interesting thing was that they gave me different advice.

The first prof, in mechanics, told me to ask the instructor questions about any parts of the exam where you feel like you're making an assumption that isn't stated in the problem. This helped me tremendously later in mechanics, because I stopped overcomplicating exam problems. I ended up getting an A on the final and in the class.

The second prof, in E&M, said that I was concentrating on challenging problems when preparing for an exam, which showed that I could understand E&M conceptually, but also meant that I wasn't spending enough time cracking the really easy questions. So I'm going to switch my study strategy to solving more 1-point and fewer challenge problems.

Your teacher may be writing his or her exam in a way that you're not used to studying for. I would ask him for a good approach to preparing.

adjacent said:
That's strange. If you have a good interest in physics and maths,then that should not happen. Did you get involved in something distracting this year?

I'm going to disagree. Interest in something doesn't make you good at it.

If I were you, I'd rework the questions from the exam that you messed up on. Figure out where your issues are.

Likes yeshuamo
maybe this teacher is making you think a bit more? Maybe in your past classes you got by by plugging and chugging?

It can also be the professor. Some professors are just harder graders, harder problems, harder class than others. At my college there is one professor who is a notorious hard ass. Many people get C's, few get B's and hardly anyone gets an A. Well, nobody signs up for this professor classes, not because he cannot teach, rather, it is because his classes tend to be really difficult. A c in his class is an A in another class.

Maybe you are not meeting the high level of expectations the professor has set forth to the students? An A is meaningless.

Hi! I found out one more thing that could potentially be helpful to you or anyone else feeling perplexed by their performance on exams.

Based on my chart and chronic disability status, my doctor gave me a referral to take exams at the disability center on our campus, which gives me some accommodations in terms of time and distraction. While my knowledge of the material hasn't changed, I now do significantly better on exams because of this accommodation. And I'm not stressed or tortured by tests the way I used to be. So, this is something to consider if you have a chronic condition that may bother you when you're taking an exam.

1. How can I improve my study habits to get better grades?

To improve your study habits, it is important to create a schedule and stick to it. Set aside dedicated time each day for studying and avoid distractions. Take thorough notes during class and review them regularly. Additionally, try different studying techniques such as flashcards or summarizing material to find what works best for you.

2. Is it better to study alone or in a group to improve grades?

This varies for each person, but generally a combination of both is beneficial. Studying alone allows you to focus on your own pace and understanding, while studying in a group can help you learn from others and explain concepts to each other. Find what works best for you and don't be afraid to switch it up.

3. How can I manage my time effectively to improve my grades?

To manage your time effectively, it is important to prioritize your tasks and set realistic goals. Make a to-do list and break down larger tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. Avoid procrastination and try to complete assignments ahead of their due dates. Additionally, make sure to balance your time between studying and other activities to avoid burnout.

4. What should I do if I am struggling in a specific subject?

If you are struggling in a specific subject, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. Talk to your teacher or professor for extra guidance and clarification on concepts. Additionally, seek help from peers or consider hiring a tutor. Practice regularly and don't be afraid to ask questions.

5. Can I improve my grades if I have a lot of extracurricular activities?

Yes, it is possible to improve your grades even with a busy schedule. It is important to prioritize your time and make a schedule that allows for studying and participating in extracurricular activities. Use your time efficiently and try to find a balance between your commitments. Additionally, don't hesitate to ask for help or guidance if needed.