How do I go from the form sin(6x) to the form A sin(x)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter essedbl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
essedbl
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am working on a homework problem: sin(6x) + cos(6x). I have to represent it in the form:
k sin(x + [itex]\phi[/itex])

I have the formulas to change A sin(x) + B cos(x) int k sin(x + [itex]\phi[/itex]), however, I don't know how to go from sin(6x) to A sin(x). Is it just 6 sin(x)?

I don't think it is, because if so, k will be equal to √(62+62), which is not a simple whole number, so I suspect my approach is wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try applying the angle addition formulas for sin and cos first until you obtain sin(x) and cos(x).
 
essedbl said:
I am working on a homework problem: sin(6x) + cos(6x). I have to represent it in the form:
k sin(x + [itex]\phi[/itex])

I have the formulas to change A sin(x) + B cos(x) int k sin(x + [itex]\phi[/itex]), however, I don't know how to go from sin(6x) to A sin(x). Is it just 6 sin(x)?

I don't think it is, because if so, k will be equal to √(62+62), which is not a simple whole number, so I suspect my approach is wrong.

If you let

[tex]\sin(6x)+\cos(6x)=k\cdot\sin(6x+\phi)[/tex]

with some constants k and [itex]\phi[/itex], then upon expanding the RHS we get

[tex]\sin(6x)+\cos(6x)=k\left(\sin(6x)\cos(\phi)+\cos(6x)\sin(\phi)\right)[/tex]

[tex]\sin(6x)+\cos(6x)=k\cdot\cos(\phi)\sin(6x)+k\cdot\sin(\phi)\cos(6x)[/tex]

Now notice that for each side to be equal, the coefficient of [itex]\sin(6x)[/itex] on the LHS must equal the coefficient of [itex]\sin(6x)[/itex] on the RHS, and similarly for [itex]\cos(6x)[/itex]

This will give you 2 equations in 2 unknowns, so you should be able to find the value of each.
 
essedbl said:
I am working on a homework problem: sin(6x) + cos(6x). I have to represent it in the form:
k sin(x + [itex]\phi[/itex])

I have the formulas to change A sin(x) + B cos(x) int k sin(x + [itex]\phi[/itex]), however, I don't know how to go from sin(6x) to A sin(x). Is it just 6 sin(x)?

I don't think it is, because if so, k will be equal to √(62+62), which is not a simple whole number, so I suspect my approach is wrong.

You can't go from sin(6x) + cos(6x) to ksin(x+##\phi##), at least not for all x. The formula involving 6x has period π/3, while the other one has period 2π, no matter what values of k and ##\phi## you pick. And no, sin(6x) is not 6sin(x), and for exactly the same reason. Note, however, that you *can* go to ksin(6x+##\phi##).

RGV