Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I include nested quotes in reply?

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

When I'm replying to something which includes a quote, I'd often like to include the second level quote for easy reference, but it gets dropped when I use "reply" or "quote". Is there a standard way to do this (other than copying the quote back in from the original quoted post)?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Copy the quote from the original post, or via copy&paste from the post where it got quoted (and add quote tags manually). I don't think there is a better solution.

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would use the +Quote link on the original post or just click Reply on both (this will put quotes of both posts into your reply field, if you want to move one quote inside the other, just copy paste from the result).

5. Oct 21, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

As other suggested it has to be done manually. It was the same way in the old PF. Unfortunately, quotes are often abused, not allowing automatic copying of nested quotes makes the quote abuse less prominent.

6. Oct 21, 2014 #5

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

OK, thanks everyone. I had hoped there might at least be some option (although I understand that making it automatic leads to excessive copying).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook