Am i mis-using multi-quote function ?

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of being unable to carry a quote from one thread to another using multi-quote. The method of using traditional copy and paste is suggested as an alternative. Another user suggests reloading the thread or selecting a post for quoting in order to update the "insert quotes" button. The conversation concludes with a successful method of using the multiquote function.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I seem unable to carry a quote from one thread to another using multi-quote.

Composing a reply in thread A
i wish to quote from thread B
so in thread B i highlight and select "Quote"
It reports "added to multi-quote"

when i go back to thread A there's no "insert quotes" button.
So i use traditional copy and paste

minor annoyance compared to those dropdowns

windows 7 , firefox

Physics news on Phys.org
Same combination of browser and OS here, same experience. I had just assumed that the list of insertable quotes is maintained on a per-thread basis so adding something to the multiquote list only makes it available in replies in that thread.

Reload the thread where you want to insert the quotes, or select a post for quoting there as well (you can deselect it again afterwards). It does not seem to update that button automatically if you select posts somewhere else.

Likes Evo
mfb said:
or select a post for quoting there as well

seems to work. It offered me last several quotes from other threads.

Thanks !

Last time I tried this successfully:

1. In any posting of the thread, click "+quote"; this will toggle ON the multiquote functioning.
  2. Click on "reply" of every post that you want to quote, and each time find that the quotation is added to your "reply" field.
  3. Edit your "reply" field in the way that you want.

1. What is the multi-quote function?

The multi-quote function is a feature that allows users to select and quote multiple posts in a single response on online forums or discussion boards.

2. How do I use the multi-quote function?

To use the multi-quote function, you can typically click on a button or icon next to each post you want to quote. Once you have selected all the posts you want to quote, you can then click on the "reply" or "quote" button to add them to your response.

3. Can I use the multi-quote function on all online forums?

No, the availability of the multi-quote function depends on the platform or software used by the specific forum. Some forums may not have this feature or may have a different method for using it.

4. Is there a limit to how many posts I can quote using the multi-quote function?

Yes, there is typically a limit to the number of posts you can quote in a single response. This limit may vary depending on the forum or platform, but it is usually around 5-10 posts.

5. What are the benefits of using the multi-quote function?

The multi-quote function can save time and effort by allowing you to respond to multiple posts in one go. It also helps to keep the conversation organized and makes it easier for other users to follow the discussion.