How do I insert math to a post?

• Thread starter KorvusKoraks
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of LaTeX and its symbols, specifically how to create fractions and superscripts/subscripts. The conversation also mentions resources for learning and using LaTeX.
KorvusKoraks
I can't see a button for that anywhere :(

So that for example in 1/2 the "/" would be a horizontal line.

Physics news on Phys.org
KorvusKoraks said:
I can't see a button for that anywhere :(

So that for example in 1/2 the "/" would be a horizontal line.
There's no button. It's LaTeX. Have a look at the LaTeX Primer.

Likes KorvusKoraks
You use ##\LaTeX##, for which see the guidelines: (point 6)

(##\TeX## commercial:)

It's so easy ! just put ## or $$ around the expression to get ##LaTeX## .

So $$(aB/2)t^2 + vB(initial)*t - vA(initial)*t + xBi = 0$$ becomes $$(aB/2)t^2 + vB(initial)*t - vA(initial)*t + xBi = 0$$

Then: superscripts come with ^ and subscripts with _ and grouping goes with curly brackets {...}

You learn from other posts with a right-click on the formula and picking Show Math as ... ##\TeX## commands.

For your question: \frac {a+2} {b} gives ## \frac {a+2} {b} ## and {1-2-3\over 4-5-6} gives ##{1-2-3\over 4-5-6} ##

[edit] by the way: :welcome: ! And don't hesitate to post whatever. We are used to imperfection (we only strive for perfecetion :smile:)

[edit] perfection (unintended, but fortunate typo -- I like having it there :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Likes KorvusKoraks
Likes KorvusKoraks
Borg said:
There's no button. It's LaTeX. Have a look at the LaTeX Primer.

BvU said:
You use ##\LaTeX##, for which see the guidelines: (point 6)

(##\TeX## commercial:)

It's so easy ! just put ## or $$ around the expression to get ##LaTeX## .

So $$(aB/2)t^2 + vB(initial)*t - vA(initial)*t + xBi = 0$$ becomes $$(aB/2)t^2 + vB(initial)*t - vA(initial)*t + xBi = 0$$

Then: superscripts come with ^ and subscripts with _ and grouping goes with curly brackets {...}

You learn from other posts with a right-click on the formula and picking Show Math as ... ##\TeX## commands.

For your question: \frac {a+2} {b} gives ## \frac {a+2} {b} ## and {1-2-3\over 4-5-6} gives ##{1-2-3\over 4-5-6} ##

[edit] by the way: :welcome: ! And don't hesitate to post whatever. We are used to imperfection (we only strive for perfecetion :smile:)

fresh_42 said:
It would be ##\text{##\frac{1}{2}##}## or ##\text{[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]}## or ½ with the usage of the symbols you may use after clicking on ∑ in the editor window.

See also:
https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
http://detexify.kirelabs.org/symbols.html
https://www.sharelatex.com/learn/Spacing_in_math_mode

Thanks a lot to everyone for the info! I have used LaTeX before, I'll have to try to recall how to use it...

1. How do I insert mathematical equations into a post?

There are several ways to insert math into a post, depending on the platform you are using. For most blogging or forum platforms, you can use LaTeX code to write your equation and then wrap it in dollar signs ($$) to display it properly. Some platforms also have built-in math editors or plugins that allow you to easily insert equations without using code.

2. Can I use any type of mathematical symbols in my post?

Yes, you can use a wide range of mathematical symbols and operations in your post, including fractions, exponents, Greek letters, and more. However, it is important to check the capabilities of the platform you are using to make sure it supports the specific symbols you want to use.

3. Do I need to have a background in math to insert equations into a post?

No, you do not need to have a strong background in math to insert equations into a post. As long as you have a basic understanding of mathematical operations and symbols, you can use the available tools and resources to insert equations into your post.

4. Can I insert multiple equations into one post?

Yes, you can insert multiple equations into one post. You can use the same methods mentioned above to insert each equation separately, or you can use a math editor or plugin that allows you to input and display multiple equations at once.

5. How can I ensure that my equations are displayed correctly in my post?

To ensure that your equations are displayed correctly, it is important to use the correct formatting and syntax. This includes using the appropriate code or tools for the platform you are using, as well as properly formatting your equations with the necessary symbols and operations. It is also helpful to preview your post before publishing to make sure the equations are displaying correctly.