Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I insert math to a post?

Tags:
  1. Sep 10, 2016 #1
    I can't see a button for that anywhere :(

So that for example in 1/2 the "/" would be a horizontal line.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2016 #2

Borg

Gold Member

There's no button. It's LaTeX. Have a look at the LaTeX Primer.

4. Sep 10, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You use ##\LaTeX##, for which see the guidelines: (point 6)

(##\TeX## commercial:)

It's so easy ! just put ## or $$ around the expression to get ##LaTeX## .

So $$(aB/2)t^2 + vB(initial)*t - vA(initial)*t + xBi = 0$$ becomes $$(aB/2)t^2 + vB(initial)*t - vA(initial)*t + xBi = 0$$

Then: superscripts come with ^ and subscripts with _ and grouping goes with curly brackets {...}

You learn from other posts with a right-click on the formula and picking Show Math as ... ##\TeX## commands.

For your question: \frac {a+2} {b} gives ## \frac {a+2} {b} ## and {1-2-3\over 4-5-6} gives ##{1-2-3\over 4-5-6} ##

[edit] by the way: :welcome: !! And don't hesitate to post whatever. We are used to imperfection (we only strive for perfecetion :smile:)

[edit] perfection (unintended, but fortunate typo -- I like having it there :rolleyes: )

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  5. Sep 10, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 10, 2016 #5
    Thanks a lot to everyone for the info! I have used LaTeX before, I'll have to try to recall how to use it...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted