1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Do I Know If Engineering or Physics Is For Me?

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    Why did y'all choose one over the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I started off in engineering because I had a scholarship for it and I was desperate to get out of my home town. I switched to physics because engineering was boring. Follow your passion.

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    I've always liked science but started out in engineering because I didn't have calculus in high school and was scared of math... I soon discovered that I loved math but found engineering classes to be shallow. After my first year I made the switch to physics and have enjoyed it so far.

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4
    Well, in my case, it was math vs compEE. (I did consider physics a long time ago). But I realized that math is only a hobby for me and that I'm fascinated of how electronics and machines work and their constructions. I also realized that classical mechanics (by this, I refer to typical physics 1 with calc course: rolling, work, projectile, etc) is just too tedious and boring. On the contrary, doing physics problems involving a circuit design is suddenly interesting. Fortunately, I am minoring (essentially double majoring) in pure maths just for interests but with no intention to pursue it in grad school.

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5
    Engineering is in my blood (my granddad worked on the Mercury mission, and all of my great uncles were engineers), but I really have a passion for astronomy/astrophysics. I'm overwhelmingly fascinated by other worlds. I have yet to see if I'm talented enough to achieve my goals, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I think it's a lot like interpersonal love; one just knows.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. Nov 12, 2012 #6
    I started out as an electronics engineer, mainly because I wanted to know how electronics works. I moved on to nano-electronics to make electronics of nanometer scale. Now I am more interested in physics and would like to pursue physics academically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook