1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I know if I want to go into research?

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    I'm working on a Physics BS. I'm still figuring out what career I want to make with this path. I'm certainly not averse to shooting for a doctorate in the future. How do I decide if research is the way for me? Naturally, I like science fiction (Stargate) stuff. Haha. I don't know if that is a good indicator. If I do decide I want to go this route, how should I prepare? The alternative, I suppose, is just to shoot for an engineering job/career. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2
    One good way is to become a lab rat...I mean a student research assistant. If you enjoy spending long hours doing long calculations, trying to figure why out your stupid little machine won't work, and various of other things that tend to go along with research, go for it.

I suggest you try to get an internship during the summer and do some research during the school year. Whichever you find more enjoyable is probably your route.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the best way to see if research is for you is to get some experience in it. Try to get an internship, REU, or ask a professor if they have something for you to do. It can't hurt, and if you do decide to go to grad school, it'll look good on your application if you had research experience.

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    Go look for a professor with open positions in their lab. That's probably the best and free way in see if you want to continue on to be a PhD.

6. Jan 28, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll see what I can dig up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?