Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How do I make an atomic oscillation?

1. Oct 17, 2017 #1
    How do I make an atom oscillation?
    What is the thermal energy that an atom emits?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Shake it.

4. Oct 17, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

You can make an atom oscillate by shaking it.

None. Single atoms don't emit thermal energy. At least I wouldn't call it thermal energy. The radiation emitted from a single atom is caused by electronic transitions (electrons moving between various energy levels in their orbitals) and the spectrum is one of discrete frequencies, not a continuous spectrum like you see in bulk materials. For example, a hydrogen atom can emit radiation at 4 distinct frequencies in the visible part of the spectrum, whereas the spectrum of a hot object composed of trillions of atoms is continuous from red to violet (and beyond both ends).

5. Oct 17, 2017 #4
  6. Nov 18, 2017 #5
    Even spectra of big collection of atoms cant be continuous but frequencies might be close enough to give a look of continuity.

7. Nov 18, 2017 #6

berkeman

Baby! :smile:

8. Nov 18, 2017 #7

Drakkith

Hmm. Maybe. But I'm not so sure. Electronic transitions are not the only way that light can be generated from atoms within a bulk material, and I don't know if they other ways (acceleration of moving charges, discrete transitions being red/blue shifted from their motions, etc) can generate a continuous spectrum or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted