How do I make an atomic oscillation?

In summary, you can make an atom oscillate by shaking it, putting it in an oscillating electric field, or putting it in a magnetic trap.
Another
How do I make an atom oscillation?
What is the thermal energy that an atom emits?

Physics news on Phys.org
Another said:

Shake it.

Another said:

You can make an atom oscillate by shaking it.

Another said:
What is the thermal energy that an atom emits?

None. Single atoms don't emit thermal energy. At least I wouldn't call it thermal energy. The radiation emitted from a single atom is caused by electronic transitions (electrons moving between various energy levels in their orbitals) and the spectrum is one of discrete frequencies, not a continuous spectrum like you see in bulk materials. For example, a hydrogen atom can emit radiation at 4 distinct frequencies in the visible part of the spectrum, whereas the spectrum of a hot object composed of trillions of atoms is continuous from red to violet (and beyond both ends).

Drakkith said:
You can make an atom oscillate by shaking it.
None. Single atoms don't emit thermal energy. At least I wouldn't call it thermal energy. The radiation emitted from a single atom is caused by electronic transitions (electrons moving between various energy levels in their orbitals) and the spectrum is one of discrete frequencies, not a continuous spectrum like you see in bulk materials. For example, a hydrogen atom can emit radiation at 4 distinct frequencies in the visible part of the spectrum, whereas the spectrum of a hot object composed of trillions of atoms is continuous from red to violet (and beyond both ends).
Even spectra of big collection of atoms can't be continuous but frequencies might be close enough to give a look of continuity.

Vanadium 50 said:
Shake it.
Vanadium 50 said:
Shake it.
Baby! :smile:

Likes Fig Neutron
gianeshwar said:
Even spectra of big collection of atoms can't be continuous but frequencies might be close enough to give a look of continuity.

Hmm. Maybe. But I'm not so sure. Electronic transitions are not the only way that light can be generated from atoms within a bulk material, and I don't know if they other ways (acceleration of moving charges, discrete transitions being red/blue shifted from their motions, etc) can generate a continuous spectrum or not.

Another said:
you can't
A single atom, neutral, there is really no way I know (I could be mistaken) to make it oscillate.
Bind two or more atoms together, make a molecule and then, you have vibrational and rotational energy levels.

rootone said:
Good question; the LHC is our best experimental attempt to find out so far.
https://home.cern/topics/large-hadron-collider
I don't see how the LHC would have anything to do with this thread.
Henryk said:
you can't
A single atom, neutral, there is really no way I know (I could be mistaken) to make it oscillate.
Bind two or more atoms together, make a molecule and then, you have vibrational and rotational energy levels.
You can put an ion in an oscillating electric field to make it oscillate. You can put a neutral atom in a suitable magnetic trap and make it oscillate. And various more methods.

1. How does an atomic oscillation occur?

An atomic oscillation is a vibration or movement of the outer electrons of an atom. This can be caused by an external energy source, such as light or heat, or by the natural movement of the electrons within the atom.

2. What factors affect the frequency of atomic oscillations?

The frequency of atomic oscillations can be affected by the size and mass of the atom, the strength of the atomic bonds, and the amount of energy being applied to the atom.

3. How can I measure the frequency of an atomic oscillation?

The frequency of an atomic oscillation can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as spectroscopy or interferometry. These methods use specialized instruments to detect and analyze the vibrations of atoms.

4. Can atomic oscillations be controlled?

Yes, atomic oscillations can be controlled through the use of external energy sources or by manipulating the surrounding environment. For example, by changing the temperature or pressure of the environment, the frequency and intensity of atomic oscillations can be altered.

5. What are the practical applications of atomic oscillations?

Atomic oscillations have a wide range of practical applications, including in the fields of chemistry, materials science, and electronics. They can be used to study the properties of different materials, to create new materials with specific properties, and to create electronic devices such as sensors and transistors.