Energy levels of atoms and spectroscopic analysis

In summary: But I digress. Basically, you solve Schrödinger's equation for the system in question. Undergraduate physics students learn how to do this for the hydrogen atom, which is the simplest case (one electrron in a ##1/r## potential). I learned many of the details in a second-year "introduction to modern physics" course (and later taught such a course for many years), and the rest in full-on quantum mechanics courses.This is a good start, but I'm still a little confused. Can you explain a little more about how you solve Schrödinger's equation and what it is that you get by doing so?
MartinG
Hello !

My question is how the energy levels and sublevels that atoms are considered to have were obtained, and if these energy levels and sublevels were obtained as a result of the different spectroscopic analyzes of energy emission and absorption of atoms, or as it was concluded that atoms have the energy levels and sublevels that atoms are currently considered to have ?

Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
MartinG said:
Hello !

My question is how the energy levels and sublevels that atoms are considered to have were obtained, and if these energy levels and sublevels were obtained as a result of the different spectroscopic analyzes of energy emission and absorption of atoms, or as it was concluded that atoms have the energy levels and sublevels that atoms are currently considered to have ?

Thanks for your answers.
This might be worth studying:

http://www.columbia.edu/~nas2173/Lab7_SpectrumOfTheHydrogenAtomNS.pdf

Likes MartinG
Thanks Perok !So my question is answered like this:

The levels and sublevels of energy that atoms are considered to be made of, are obtained from the conclusions made by the spectral analyzes made throughout history to the different atoms ?

MartinG said:
Thanks Perok !So my question is answered like this:

The levels and sublevels of energy that atoms are considered to be made of, are obtained from the conclusions made by the spectral analyzes made throughout history to the different atoms ?
To be precise, experimental spectroscopy gives you energy differences that each atom or molecule may absorb or emit. The QM model of the atom explains this in terms of energy levels based on four quantum numbers.

Likes Twigg and MartinG
MartinG said:
Your question is a bit difficult to understand, but I believe you're asking how we discovered the energy levels that atoms and molecules have, and if we used spectroscopic analysis to do so. The answer to this question is yes, we used spectroscopic analysis combined with quantum mechanics to obtain and explain the different electronic energy levels of atoms and molecules.

Likes MartinG
I also don't quite understand the question, but it seems to be related to "which came first" - understanding of energy levels or understanding spectroscopy. They progressed together.

Likes Twigg and MartinG
Drakkith said:
Your question is a bit difficult to understand, but I believe you're asking how we discovered the energy levels that atoms and molecules have, and if we used spectroscopic analysis to do so.
Yes, my question is that.

And to continue with this topic I ask you again how you use the "quantum mechanics" to obtain and explain the different electronic energy levels of atoms and molecules.

I appreciate you if you can explain a little more about how you use quantum mechanics for this.

Greetings.

There are entire books on the subject. It's not easy to condense a book into a few lines.

Likes aaroman and MartinG
MartinG said:
And to continue with this topic I ask you again how you use the "quantum mechanics" to obtain and explain the different electronic energy levels of atoms and molecules.
I'm afraid my experience with doing detailed quantum mechanics never got past the very basics that I needed for my 201 solid state chemistry class. As V50 said, it's a deep and detailed subject with many, many books written about it. It can't be explained in a forum post if you don't have any of the prerequisite knowledge.

Likes Vanadium 50
MartinG said:
I ask you again how you use the "quantum mechanics" to obtain and explain the different electronic energy levels of atoms and molecules.

I appreciate you if you can explain a little more about how you use quantum mechanics for this.
Basically, you solve Schrödinger's equation for the system in question. Undergraduate physics students learn how to do this for the hydrogen atom, which is the simplest case (one electrron in a ##1/r## potential). I learned many of the details in a second-year "introduction to modern physics" course (and later taught such a course for many years), and the rest in full-on quantum mechanics courses.

A Google search for "hydrogen atom schrodinger equation" finds many sets of university lecture notes. Here's one that appears to follow the book that I taught my "intro modern" course out of (Beiser's Concepts of Modern Physics).

https://web.mst.edu/~sparlin/phys107/lecture/chap06.pdf

Likes aaroman, PeroK and hutchphd
Of course that's the tip of the iceberg - even within the hydrogen atom. Fine structure, hyperfine structure, relativistic corrections. At MIT, when I took 8.05, the second semester of QM, it was nicknamed "the hydrogen atom" because that was the bulk of the course. Not everything, of course: there was also the H2+ ion. :smile:

Likes aaroman, PeroK and Drakkith
Yep. Then there are the multi-electron systems: atoms other than hydrogen; molecules; solid-state systems like crystals; etc.

jtbell said:
multi-electron systems
Actually, H2+ and H- are the same problem, as is the helium atom. Sort of.

One has two electrons in the potential of the proton (or the potential of an alpha particle), and the other has two protons in the potential of the electron. If you had an exact solution to one, you'd have the exact solution to the other.

However, there is no exact solution, and the approximations for the various alternatives are completely different.

1. What are energy levels of atoms?

The energy levels of atoms refer to the specific amount of energy that an electron can have while orbiting around the nucleus of an atom. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only exist at specific values and not in between.

2. How are energy levels of atoms determined?

The energy levels of atoms are determined by the number of protons in the nucleus, also known as the atomic number. Each element has a unique set of energy levels, and the electrons will fill these levels in a specific order according to the Aufbau principle.

3. What is spectroscopic analysis?

Spectroscopic analysis is a technique used to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. This can provide information about the energy levels of atoms, as different elements will absorb and emit specific wavelengths of light.

4. How does spectroscopic analysis help us understand energy levels of atoms?

By analyzing the wavelengths of light absorbed and emitted by an element, we can determine the energy levels of its electrons. This allows us to identify the element and understand its electronic structure.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding energy levels of atoms?

Understanding energy levels of atoms is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and astronomy. It allows us to identify elements, study their properties, and develop new technologies such as lasers and solar cells. It also helps us understand the behavior of matter in different environments, such as in chemical reactions and in stars.