How do I mold an elastic part for cheap?

In summary: Hello. I'm an engineering student so don't make fun of me. I'm trying to mold an elastic cylinder. My plan for doing this is to:1. Print out a plastic mold.2. Buy elastic material.3. fill the mold with elastic material.4. wait 24 hours.I'm trying to make the cylinder as elastic as possible. Which material should I use? Can this be done at room temperature in order to prevent the plastic mold from melting?Please help. The more information and advice I can get the better. Thank you.I'm an engineering student, too, so you won't get trouble from me. It sounds like your approach would
anorred
Hello. I'm an engineering student so don't make fun of me. I'm trying to mold an elastic cylinder. My plan for doing this is to:

1. Print out a plastic mold.
2. Buy elastic material.
3. fill the mold with elastic material.
4. wait 24 hours.

I'm trying to make the cylinder as elastic as possible. Which material should I use? Can this be done at room temperature in order to prevent the plastic mold from melting?

Please help. The more information and advice I can get the better. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anorred said:
Hello. I'm an engineering student so don't make fun of me. I'm trying to mold an elastic cylinder. My plan for doing this is to:

2. Buy elastic material.
4. wait 24 hours.

I'm trying to make the cylinder as elastic as possible. Which material should I use? Can this be done at room temperature in order to prevent the plastic mold from melting?

I have very limited 3-D printing experience, but can ask a couple questions to help other responders.

What size is this cylinder going to be? How elastic? What is the application? Can you just 3-D print the elastic cylinder directly?

Don't they make a pourable silicone rubber that is suitable. I know that Myth Busters and Hollywood use this stuff all of the time.

Likes billy_joule
anorred said:

2. Buy elastic material.
4. wait 24 hours.

I'm an engineering student, too, so you won't get trouble from me. It sounds like your approach would work pretty well with RTV silicone, which has a very low elastic modulus (http://www.matweb.com/search/datasheetText.aspx?bassnum=O5200). As long as you wouldn't mind cracking the mold to get it out, because it's pretty tacky before it cures, then it could do the trick. It usually cures within 24 hours.

mr166 said:
Don't they make a pourable silicone rubber that is suitable. I know that Myth Busters and Hollywood use this stuff all of the time.
Good suggestion! One of those tubes of handyman gap sealants or caulking compounds should do, they set to a tough rubbery solid. You can buy them in a range of colours, or clear silicone. Intended to be slotted into a caulking gun (or whatever it's called) for application.

There are many two part silicon based polymers formulated for use in moulding.

Start with a google search for ' making silicone molds for ' and see where it leads you.

There are a bunch of ways to do this, but RTV works good.

People in the art area, (casting) use this stuff a lot.

1. How do I choose the right material for molding an elastic part?

Choosing the right material for molding an elastic part is crucial for achieving a low-cost production. Generally, thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) are the most commonly used materials for molding elastic parts due to their flexibility, durability, and cost-effectiveness. However, the type of TPE used will depend on the specific requirements and properties of the part you are molding.

2. What is the recommended molding method for producing elastic parts at a low cost?

The recommended molding method for producing elastic parts at a low cost is injection molding. This method involves injecting molten plastic into a mold, which is then cooled and solidified to form the desired part. Injection molding is a highly efficient and cost-effective method for producing large quantities of elastic parts with consistent quality and precision.

3. How can I reduce the cost of tooling for molding elastic parts?

The cost of tooling for molding elastic parts can be reduced by using multi-cavity molds. These molds have multiple cavities, allowing for the production of multiple parts in a single mold cycle. This significantly reduces the production time and cost per part. Additionally, using aluminum molds instead of steel can also help reduce tooling costs.

4. What are some design considerations for molding elastic parts on a budget?

When designing a part for molding on a budget, it is important to consider factors such as draft angles, wall thickness, and the use of ribs and gussets. These design elements can help reduce the cost of production by minimizing the amount of material used and ensuring easy ejection from the mold. It is also important to work closely with the mold manufacturer to optimize the design for the chosen molding method.

5. Is there a way to minimize waste and save costs during the molding process?

Yes, there are several ways to minimize waste and save costs during the molding process. First, using a well-designed sprue and runner system can help reduce material waste by optimizing the flow of plastic into the mold. Additionally, implementing a quality control process can help identify and eliminate any defects early on, reducing the amount of scrapped parts and saving costs. Lastly, using automated processes and optimizing cycle times can help increase efficiency and reduce production costs.