How Do I Name the Cyclic Isomer of C2H4O?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmm
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cyclic Organic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 5K views
jmm
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hey,

How would I name (IUPAC) the isomer of C2H4O that is a triangular ring with C at two vertices and O at the third?

Also, I'm trying to name the 11 isomers of C3H6O. So far I have 10 and I can't seem to get the last one. The ones I have are:

propanal
propan-2-one
prop-2-en-1-ol
prop-1-en-2-ol
(Z)-prop-1-en-1-ol
(E)-prop-1-en-1-ol
methoxyethene
cyclopropanol
and two rings like the one I described above with O at a vertex

I hope those names are right but please tell me if they don't make sense and I'll try another one.

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
nichrome` said:
You mean ethylene oxide?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_oxide <---look at pic :)

And sorry, I can't think of that other isomer you seemed to have covered all the functional groups i could think of :P

Yeah I do mean ethylene oxide. I noticed that the IUPAC name is oxirane. Is there a systematic way of naming these or is it just a compound with an arbitrary name?

The last one's not really a big issue. It was for an assignment I had earlier but the structure of all 11 isomers was kind of irrelevant to the actual question. Thanks for the try though :)

Edit: I just found this, regarding the naming of cyclic ethers:
http://academicearth.org/lectures/cyclic-ethers-and-epoxide-naming
 
jmm said:
Hey,

How would I name (IUPAC) the isomer of C2H4O that is a triangular ring with C at two vertices and O at the third?

Also, I'm trying to name the 11 isomers of C3H6O. So far I have 10 and I can't seem to get the last one. The ones I have are:

(list snipped)
and two rings like the one I described above with O at a vertex

I hope those names are right but please tell me if they don't make sense and I'll try another one.

Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks!

What two ring structures do you have? I can draw three here.
 
I have cyclopropanol and I guess the other two might be called 1,3-epoxypropane and 1,2-epoxypropane.
 
jmm said:
I have cyclopropanol and I guess the other two might be called 1,3-epoxypropane and 1,2-epoxypropane.

OK, look at the 1,2-epoxypropane one, or better make a model of it. Now look at the mirror image...
 
Oh so they're enantiomers? So you'd have (R)-1,2-epoxypropane and (S)-1,2-epoxypropane?