1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry- Geometric and Structural Isomers of C6H12

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw and name all of the structural isomers of hydrocarbons with the formula C6H12 (cyclohexane).

2. Relevant information

This is "only" a grade 11 Chemistry Assignment, therefore I only really need the basics when it comes to isomers- not some of the more complex stuff which you may find in a university course. I would appreciate if you could list the isomers for me, or just give me a number of how many there are.

3. The attempt at a solution

The following are all isomers of Cyclohexane:

[cyclohexane]
    [methylcyclopentane]
    [ethylcyclobutane]
    [1,(1/2/3) dimethylcyclobutane]
    [propylcyclo propane]
    [1-ethyl-(1/2)methylcyclobutane]
    [trimethylcyclopropane]
    [hexa-(1/2/3)-ene]
    [(2/3/4)-methylpenta-1-ene]
    [2,3 dimethylbuta-2-ene]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2
    Of all the above stated isomers,
    1-ethyl-(1/2)methylcyclobutane is not an isomer of [tex]C_6H_{12}[/tex], as it contains 7 carbon atoms.

Few more isomers would be possible with, pentene.. like (2/3/4)methyl penta-2-ene.

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Your attempt at solution is not an attempt at all, you have just copied and pasted these listed at http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_C6H12.

Try to draw them with a pencil and piece of paper.

5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Good catch, they probably meant substituted cyclopropane.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5
    Thank You, now back to MarquisDM..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?