Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I record the occurrence of waves?

1. Oct 24, 2013 #1
    The main question is contained in the title. I particularly want to record, document, and capture the occurrence of vibrations.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

A microphone can capture sound waves. Is that what you mean?

4. Oct 24, 2013 #3
    No. I know that they're all waves. I particularly want to document vibrations - a specific type of set of waves.

5. Oct 24, 2013 #4

TumblingDice

Gold Member

What attributes of the vibrations are important to capture? Music is an example of recorded vibrations. But maybe you're not interested in having that much detail in your data?

6. Oct 24, 2013 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well maybe it would help us to help you if you told us what specific waves/vibrations
    you are looking to record
    So far you haven't given us much to go on, your question is really vague
    describe your project more fully :smile:

cheers
    Dave

7. Oct 24, 2013 #6
    Suppose vibrations were made to occur at a particular place with the usage of a wave-emitter. How would I go about documenting the occurrence of the vibrations?

8. Oct 25, 2013 #7

TumblingDice

Gold Member

As davenn wrote, more information is req'd. A minimal data method would be to record the start time and end time for each occurrence. Even then, you'd need to decide a 'damping' time (how much of a time gap to say one set has ended and a new occurrence starts).

So do you need more than time and duration?

9. Oct 25, 2013 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are still being VERY vague .... again please explain your project fully

use a motion sensor
    this could be like a seismometer as used in earthquake studies
    or a laser beam reflected from the material and record the variations in the reflected laser signal
    or piezo-electric sensors

there's many different types of sensors on the market that will detect the motion of vibrations

Dave

10. Oct 25, 2013 #9
    Are you the guy who was worried his neighbors were harassing him with vibrations and wave-emitters?

11. Oct 25, 2013 #10
    I am not the guy who was worried about his neighbors harassing him. How can I go about documenting the occurrence of vibrations? Particularly, vibrations on a bed?

12. Oct 25, 2013 #11
    I imagine the correct method would first involve reading the responses rather than repeating the question.

13. Oct 25, 2013 #12

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Etherialist.18, you may get more useful responses from members here if you describe your request in more detail.

In post #6 you mentioned "usage of a wave-emitter". Will you please explain what is that?

In post #1o you mentioned "vibrations on a bed". This requires explanation...have you felt these yourself? Have you heard them? What indications of vibrations have you experienced?

Until you give more detailed descriptions of what you mean you cannot expect any useful responses here. Please try again.

Bobbywhy

14. Oct 25, 2013 #13
    I can feel the vibrations on my bed, while I sleep. I have figured that I will use copper paper to place under my bed and connect to a light-bulb with a copper wire. My hypothesis is that the vibrations are waves, which are energy. Therefore, the energy can be collected. What do you think?

15. Oct 25, 2013 #14

Drakkith

No, that will not work. Vibrations on a copper sheet do not produce a voltage or current, which is what is necessary to light your bulb.

Perhaps you can download an vibration detection app for your cell phone? I know there are some out there that will pick up vibrations and show them on your phone.

16. Oct 25, 2013 #15

berkeman

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook