How Do I Solve Part B of the Lennard-Jones Potential Problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Oblio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Potential
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Oblio
Messages
398
Reaction score
0
I'm really stuck on b.) of this question.

http://www.physics.brocku.ca/Courses/2P20/problems/prob_lenardjones.pdf

I think I can use T = E - U, and solve for v from within T and integrate for x...

but what do I do with E?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
can i ignore E since its a constant? I got something like,
[tex]x = /frac{-6r^6A + 12B}{2r^13} t^2 [\tex][/tex]
 
I'm getting the ridiculous value of :

r = [tex]\sqrt[6]{\frac{-12B}{6A}}[/tex]

by deriving the two quotients, allowing A' and B' to cancel in the process (constants) cancelling out the high denominators as much as possible... etc..