How do I start out this project? (rogue waves)

In summary: I'm currently looking for academic reseach to better understand the phenomenon (equations, simulations ...) as I still didn't study fluid dynamics (will be studied later on this year).Is it possible to conduct small scale experiments to study ocean rogue wave ?
fRod57
Homework Statement
Studying rogue waves using molasses (comparison to a typical ocean rogue wave)
Relevant Equations
https://sci-hub.se/https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259339104_Rogue_waves_in_a_wave_tank_Experiments_and_modeling
I'm a university student preparing entry exams to French engineering schools and I need to prepare a physics project. I've just read about the great Boston tank failure of 1919 and would love to conduct experiments aiming to explain what made this event so damaging.
I'm currently looking for academic reseach to better understand the phenomenon (equations, simulations ...) as I still didn't study fluid dynamics (will be studied later on this year).
I need to know where I can start understanding the phenomenon and working out on this project.
"excuse me for the use of sci-hub as my country has online payment issues"
https://sci-hub.se/https://www.rese...waves_in_a_wave_tank_Experiments_and_modeling
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine how molasses would be useful since it has a significantly different viscosity than water.

Likes berkeman
Welcome to the PF.

I agree with @phinds -- rogue waves in the ocean need to be modeled with the viscosity of water.

Likes fRod57 and phinds
Thanks. Is it possible to conduct small scale experiments to study ocean rogue wave ?

Can you say more about the reading you have been doing so far about ocean waves?

@fRod57 to expand just a bit on berkeman's comment, this is not a Q&A forum. We expect people to have shown some effort before asking a question and we need to know where you are in your study of the subject.

Also, I see that you did not do an introductory post, so you clearly haven't read the rules. I suggest you do.

fRod57 said:
Thanks. Is it possible to conduct small scale experiments to study ocean rogue wave ?
I have conducted a personal experiment with a rogue wave off the NorCal coast while abalone diving (many years ago). I can personally vouch for how big they can get out of the middle of nowhere. When you are counting and timing the waves to get out on the rocky coast here, they usually have a regular pattern. But that one time a large rogue wave came out of nowhere, and almost ended it for myself and a few of my fellow divers.

Don't try this at home...

1. How do I define a rogue wave for my project?

A rogue wave is a large, unexpected wave that occurs in the open ocean and has a significantly higher height than the surrounding waves. It is often described as a single wave that is at least twice the height of the significant wave height. You can define a rogue wave for your project by using this general definition and specifying any additional criteria that may be relevant to your specific project.

2. What are some common methods for studying rogue waves?

Some common methods for studying rogue waves include numerical simulations, laboratory experiments, and statistical analyses of wave data from buoys or satellites. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, so it is important to choose the most appropriate method for your specific project goals.

3. How can I collect data on rogue waves?

Data on rogue waves can be collected from various sources, such as wave buoys, satellite imagery, ship observations, and numerical models. Each source has its own advantages and limitations, so a combination of different data sources may be necessary for a comprehensive understanding of rogue waves in your project.

4. What are some potential causes of rogue waves?

Rogue waves can be caused by a combination of factors, including ocean currents, wind patterns, and interactions between different wave systems. Other potential causes include underwater topography, changes in water depth, and oceanic instabilities. It is important to consider all potential causes in your project to accurately understand the dynamics of rogue waves.

5. How can I analyze and interpret data on rogue waves?

The analysis and interpretation of data on rogue waves often involves statistical methods, such as extreme value theory, to identify and characterize extreme events. Other techniques, such as spectral analysis and time series analysis, can also be used to study the properties and behavior of rogue waves. It is important to choose appropriate analysis methods that align with your project goals and data set.