How do I stop making careless errors on physics tests?

In summary, careless mistakes can cost you points on the SAT, and can also lead to incorrect calculations. The best way to avoid them is to box the part of the question that you need to answer, and to do an order of magnitude estimate before entering numbers into the calculator.
spectravoid
I just lost 20 points on my last physics test because of making stupid careless mistakes

how can i cut down on these

my teacher doesn't give partial credit

on one question i thought it asked to find the maximum height, it turned out that it asked for the Range the object traveled

another question asked about the centripital acceleration of somebody on the equator of the earth. i thought it said angular acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
Take your time. Sounds like you were in a rush. Read the questions twice

let's say i didn't haave enough time to check

Well, read the question and conceptualize next time.

spectravoid said:
I just lost 20 points on my last physics test because of making stupid careless mistakes

how can i cut down on these

my teacher doesn't give partial credit

on one question i thought it asked to find the maximum height, it turned out that it asked for the Range the object traveled

another question asked about the centripital acceleration of somebody on the equator of the earth. i thought it said angular acceleration
C
careless mistakes are not something you can each yourself to stop doing,. i remember last semester i made many careless mistakes in addition after doing the core work in math. it pissed me off when it knocked my grade down 6 points or more on a quiz. iasked a tutor what i could do and she said to take your time and check your work. just read each question twice and slowly before attempting it.

sportsstar469 said:
C
careless mistakes are not something you can each yourself to stop doing,. i remember last semester i made many careless mistakes in addition after doing the core work in math. it pissed me off when it knocked my grade down 6 points or more on a quiz. iasked a tutor what i could do and she said to take your time and check your work. just read each question twice and slowly before attempting it.

It may seem that these careless mistakes are part of a "bigger" problem, like read the question more carefully etc. But i found a really good way to get rid of them, but a little pain-staking.

Identify the questions or the "problems" or.. the "set of actions" you make these mistakes in, and simply tell yourself, actively the next time you get such a question or are asked to perform something like that, you will MAKE SURE you check.

For example i had this problem that i made TWICE during the same exam. The question went something like, an object is moving at .37% the speed of light, find mass dilation, given mass. I found it, but i used 37% the speed of light, rather than .37%, got a nice 0 for that question.

I'v written it into my notes, and revised it as another fundamental rule of physics. CHECK THE %. I can guarantee you ill never make that mistake again, in a question that asks for % i automatically double check it now.

Ofcourse this doesn't completely eliminate you making NEW and IMPROVED careless mistakes, but it will cut the frequency making them.

spectravoid said:

Well, you clearly had enough time to get them wrong.

First comment - it is a much better strategy to get 90% of the problems 100% right than 100% of the problems 90% right.

Second comment - it will help if you start writing properly: capitalization, punctuation, complete sentences, and yes, even spelling. You need to develop more careful habits, and this is one area where you can and should work on it.

I have the same problem as you and i found out it's because i am nervous and do not re-read the question..it's a habit. However, it is easy to get rid of it.

spectravoid said:

Why not?

Ok, I make a lot of small errors as well, but it seems as if you miss the question entirely sometimes.

So I'll share with you an SAT tip I picked up that popped my total score 60 short of perfect.

Box the part of the question that you need to "answer." That is, read through the question, and put a box around the final quantity you're being asked to evaluate. So, in your two examples, you would have boxed "distance traveled horizontally" and "centripetal acceleration". This usually takes 5 seconds, but prevents you from answering the wrong question (which is a big problem on a time intensive test like the SAT, and I think it applies here too).

Check units - make sure you have the formula the right way round!
Do an order of magnitude estimate before entering numbers into the calculator.

1. How can I improve my focus while taking physics tests?

One way to improve focus is to practice mindfulness techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, before and during the test. This can help clear your mind and reduce distractions.

2. What strategies can I use to catch careless errors?

One strategy is to read each question and your answer carefully before moving on to the next one. Double-checking your work and using scratch paper to organize your calculations can also help catch errors.

3. Is it helpful to review previous material before a physics test?

Yes, reviewing previous material can help refresh your memory and identify any areas where you may need to focus more on during the test. It can also help you feel more confident and prepared.

4. How important is it to show all of my work on a physics test?

Showing all of your work is crucial in physics, as it not only helps you catch errors but also allows your teacher to see your thought process and give partial credit for incorrect answers. It also shows that you understand the concepts and can apply them correctly.

5. What should I do if I realize I made a careless error after submitting my test?

If you realize you made a careless error after submitting your test, you can speak to your teacher and explain the mistake. They may allow you to correct it or give you partial credit. It's also essential to learn from your mistake and try to avoid making similar errors in the future.