How do I teach myself undergrad physics?

In summary, the person is looking for books that will allow them to learn physics on their own without any help from a professor. They are looking for books that are cheap to purchase and can be used to study a variety of physics topics.
aneesh.mulye
Right now, I'm in the third year of my degree in Computer Engineering. Though I'm extremely fond of my subject, I've realized that for far too long, I've neglected one of my first loves - physics. I genuinely miss the fun I used to have solving complex physics problems. So now, having mastered all the mathematics that engineering has thrown at me, I'm trying to get back into the physics scene for the challenge it used to provide me with.

Thanks to the ridiculously hard engineering mathematics syllabus of our university, I can consider myself pretty proficient at whatever is needed. We are expected, in our first three semesters, to master traditional calculus on the real line including series expansions of functions, complex algebra and calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra, the solution methods for linear differential equations, Fourier analysis, the Z transform, and the Laplace transform. Hopefully this will be sufficient. If not, I'll study whatever additional mathematics is needed. As for the introductory physics needed, I've essentially covered the contents of Young and Freedman's University Physics as part of our school syllabus, so that shouldn't be a problem. I know that Resnick and Halliday is considered a more thorough treatment, so I'll check it out if necessary.

I'm looking for books which will allow me to master the traditional branches of physics at an undergraduate level (classical mechanics, including the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian formalisms, classical electrodynamics, basic quantum theory, and basic relativity). However, I need books which I can use to learn on my own without any external support of any kind. I'll essentially be studying in complete isolation. I cannot approach any professor or mentor for help. The books will be my only refuge.

So are there any recommendations? The study plan goes thus: a quick review of basic school physics (Resnick and Halliday), followed by classical mechanics including the formalisms, then classical electrodynamics, then basic relativity, and finally the basics of quantum theory. I want to do mechanics and electromagnetism in their full, rigorous glory, and the latter two only for purposes of understanding the nature of the new reality.

Also - have no qualms about cost. I'm in India, and we get books very, very cheaply. For example, a book costing $150 (Principles of Mathematical Analysis) cost me less than that amount in Rupees - and a rupee is around one fiftieth of a dollar. As they are also one of the few luxuries I allow myself, I can afford to buy multiple books for the same subject and refer to different books for different topics. So feel free in recommending multiple books - I am lucky enough to be able to afford them.

Any suggestions for how to structure my study and what books to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way to really do it is to open up the book and read. :yuck:

Modern Physics, by Shubhra Kakani

Applied Physics, by T. Bhima Sankaram

This forum has a subforum, "Science Book Discussion." You'll find recommendations and comparisons of books in many physics subjects there.

1. What are the basic concepts I should focus on when teaching myself undergrad physics?

When teaching yourself undergrad physics, it is important to focus on the fundamentals such as kinematics, mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. These concepts provide a strong foundation for understanding more complex topics in physics.

2. How can I practice and apply what I have learned in undergrad physics?

One of the best ways to practice and apply what you have learned in undergrad physics is by solving practice problems. There are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide a variety of problems to test your understanding. You can also try to apply your knowledge to real-world situations by conducting experiments or participating in physics-related activities.

3. What resources can I use to supplement my self-teaching of undergrad physics?

In addition to textbooks and online resources, there are also many other helpful resources that you can use to supplement your self-teaching of undergrad physics. Some examples include joining study groups or online forums, watching educational videos or lectures, and seeking guidance from a mentor or tutor.

4. How can I stay motivated while teaching myself undergrad physics?

Staying motivated while teaching yourself undergrad physics can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. Setting specific goals and tracking your progress can give you a sense of accomplishment and motivation. Additionally, taking breaks and finding a balance between studying and other activities can prevent burnout. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the reasons why you are learning physics and the potential career opportunities it can offer.

5. Are there any common mistakes I should avoid when teaching myself undergrad physics?

One common mistake to avoid when teaching yourself undergrad physics is trying to memorize formulas without understanding the underlying concepts. It is important to take the time to fully comprehend the principles and theories behind the formulas in order to apply them correctly. Additionally, do not hesitate to ask for help or clarification when needed, and be patient with yourself as learning physics takes time and consistent effort.