How do Peskin/Schroeder derive 2-component Fierz identities?

In summary, Peskin and Schroeder use the trivial Pauli sigma identity to derive the Fierz interchange relations for right-handed spinors. The derivation involves "sandwiching" the identity between four right-handed Weyl spinors and using the Levi-Civita symbols. This method can also be applied to left-handed spinors, but the use of the ##\bar\sigma## matrices may be necessary for proper Lorentz transformation.
Theage
On page 51 Peskin and Schroeder are beginning to derive basic Fierz interchange relations using two-component right-handed spinors. They start by stating the trivial (but tedious) Pauli sigma identity [tex](\sigma^\mu)_{\alpha\beta}(\sigma_{\mu})_{\gamma\delta}=2\epsilon_{\alpha\gamma}\epsilon_{\beta\delta}.[/tex] They then claim to "sandwich" this identity in between the right-handed part of four Dirac spinors [itex]u_1,u_2,u_3,u_4[/itex]: [tex](\bar u_{1R}\sigma^\mu u_{2R})(\bar u_{3R}\sigma_{\mu}u_{4R})=2\epsilon_{\alpha\gamma}\bar u_{1R\alpha}\bar u_{3R\gamma}\epsilon_{\beta\delta}u_{2R\beta}u_{4R\delta}.[/tex] I understand the first identity with elements of the contraction of the Pauli vector perfectly fine, but this one completely mystifies me. The next step in their calculation swaps indices in the Levi-Citiva symbols and uses essentially the same equation in the other direction to get the expected Fierz identity, so if I understood the first equality I would also know the second. However, I just can't see how it easily follows from the Pauli matrix equation. I thus have two questions.

a) Is there an elegant way to actually "sandwich" the identity into four right-handed Weyl spinors, or do I have to manually expand the bilinears?

b) Does right-handedness actually play a role here? That is, it seems to me like this derivation would work just as well with any left-handed spinors, but is this true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Theage said:
a) Is there an elegant way to actually "sandwich" the identity into four right-handed Weyl spinors, or do I have to manually expand the bilinears?

So you're asking how to get from the first equation you wrote down to the second equation you wrote down? Just write the matrix multiplication out with explicit indices like this:

[tex](\bar u_{1R}\sigma^\mu u_{2R})(\bar u_{3R}\sigma_{\mu}u_{4R})[/tex]
[tex]= (\bar u_{1R})_\alpha (\sigma^\mu)_{\alpha\beta} (u_{2R})_\beta (\bar u_{3R})_\gamma (\sigma_{\mu})_{\gamma\delta} (u_{4R})_\delta[/tex]
[tex]= (\sigma^\mu)_{\alpha\beta} (\sigma_{\mu})_{\gamma\delta}(\bar u_{1R})_\alpha (u_{2R})_\beta (\bar u_{3R})_\gamma (u_{4R})_\delta[/tex]
[tex]= 2\epsilon_{\alpha\gamma}\epsilon_{\beta\delta} (\bar u_{1R})_\alpha (u_{2R})_\beta (\bar u_{3R})_\gamma (u_{4R})_\delta[/tex]
[tex]= 2 (\bar u_{1R})_\alpha \epsilon_{\alpha\gamma} (\bar u_{3R})_\gamma (u_{2R})_\beta \epsilon_{\beta\delta} (u_{4R})_\delta[/tex]
Theage said:
b) Does right-handedness actually play a role here? That is, it seems to me like this derivation would work just as well with any left-handed spinors, but is this true?

I think between left-handed spinors you are supposed to use the ##\bar\sigma## matrices. That is, I think ##u_{1L}\bar\sigma^\mu u_{2L}## transforms like a proper Lorentz vector, but ##u_{1L}\sigma^\mu u_{2L}## probably doesn't. I like Srednicki's textbook for some of this stuff, because its use of dotted and undotted indices helps to understand the difference between ##\sigma^\mu## and ##\bar\sigma^\mu##.

Likes Holophagus
Thank you! I was just getting lost in the indices, but now I understand.

1. How do Peskin/Schroeder derive the 2-component Fierz identities?

The 2-component Fierz identities are derived by starting with the Dirac equation and using spinor algebra to simplify the expression. This involves manipulating the notation for spinors and gamma matrices, as well as using properties of the gamma matrices such as anticommutativity and tracelessness. The final result is a set of identities that relate the various terms in the Dirac equation.

2. Why are the 2-component Fierz identities important?

The 2-component Fierz identities are important because they allow for the manipulation and simplification of expressions involving spinors and gamma matrices. This is particularly useful in calculations involving quantum field theory, where these objects are commonly encountered.

3. Are the 2-component Fierz identities only applicable in specific scenarios?

No, the 2-component Fierz identities are applicable in all scenarios involving spinors and gamma matrices. They are a fundamental concept in quantum field theory and are used in a variety of calculations and theoretical models.

4. Can the 2-component Fierz identities be derived using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple ways to derive the 2-component Fierz identities. One common method is to use the properties of the gamma matrices, as described in the first question. However, there are also other approaches such as using the Clifford algebra or using the Lorentz covariance of the Dirac equation.

5. How can the 2-component Fierz identities be applied in practical research?

The 2-component Fierz identities are a useful tool in theoretical research, particularly in the field of quantum field theory. They can be used to simplify complex expressions and equations, making calculations more manageable. Additionally, they can be used to derive new theoretical models and predictions, aiding in the advancement of scientific understanding.