Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Spinor product in Peskin-Schroeder problem 5.3

1. Mar 30, 2018 #1
    Hello,

I am currently stuck on problem 5.3 (c) about spinor products in PS, where one needs to prove the Fierz identity:
    $$ \bar{u}_{L}(p_{1}) \gamma^{\mu} {u}_{L}(p_{2}) [\gamma_{\mu}]_{ab} = 2 [u_{L}(p_{2})\bar{u}_{L}(p_1) +u_{R}(p_{1})\bar{u}_{R}(p_2) ]_{ab} $$
    They say that a Dirac matric M satisfies:
    $$ \gamma^{5} [M]=-[M]\gamma^{5}$$
    hence should be of the form:
    $$ [M]= \left( \frac{1-\gamma^{5}}{2} \right) \gamma_{\mu} V^{\mu} + \left( \frac{1+\gamma^{5}}{2} \right) \gamma_{\mu} W^{\mu} $$

But then, to get the answer, I suppose that:
    $$ V^{\mu} = u_{L}(p_{2})\bar{u}_{L}(p_1) $$
    $$ W^{\mu} = u_{R}(p_{1})\bar{u}_{R}(p_2) $$
    Honestly, I don't see exactly why. Can someone point me out the way to make this identification?

Next, in part (d), we should get an amplitude of the form:
    $$ i\mathcal{M} = (-ie)^{2} \bar{v}_{R} (k_{2}) \gamma^{\mu} u_{R} (k_{1}) \frac{-i}{s} \bar{u}_{R}(p_{1})\gamma_{\nu} v_{R}(p_2)$$
    Thus, we have terms in u and v. However, all the spinor product formalism has been developed in terms of u. My question is: can one define a spinor product $$s(p_1,p_2)=\bar{v}_{R}(p_1) u_{L}(p_2) $$?

Thanks,
    Emmanuel

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2018 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

All these messy calculations involving Fierz transformations identities can be found in the books by Atkinson's and Radovanovic's.

4. Mar 31, 2018 #3
    Thanks for the references, MathematicalPhysicist.
    But I took a look on these books, and all I saw was the general Fierz identities, and these are already treated in PS.
    However, I still don't see where does this result come from. I'm sure it's something basic, but I can't see it...

5. Apr 7, 2018 #4
    Does anyone else have a suggestion?
    Thanks!

6. Apr 8, 2018 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

7. Apr 9, 2018 #6
    Hi!
    Yes, I have seen this manual, but unfortunately, he states that this is all obvious...

8. Apr 16, 2018 at 3:24 PM #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Hi @Manu_ , have you tried the exercises textbook of Atkinson's?

9. Apr 19, 2018 at 12:19 PM #8
    Hi!
    I took a look in this book and Radovanovic's, but they cover more or less what has been treated in P&S before problem 5.3. They do not mention Fierz identities used with spinor products.

10. Apr 19, 2018 at 1:32 PM #9

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted