How do scientists estimate the total energy of the universe?

In summary: But in that case, you could also say that the theory is incomplete, because you don't know all the special cases.What do you mean by "ill-defined?"By "ill-defined," we mean that the total energy of the universe is an ill-defined concept in General Relativity. This is because you can make different arbitrary choices and still arrive at the same conclusions about the energy of the universe.
Quarlep
I posted recently on a banned topic, apologies for that. Under advisement of a mentor I've decided to ask a positive question instead, how do scientists estimate the total energy of the universe?"

Space news on Phys.org
For Mentors: I am very curious apologies me but I can't sleep well If I can't get an answer. I am in high school so I can't understand difficult equatons . I don't want to bother you I just need to know answer.

<complaint about mentor actions removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know in which year ? And thank you

I watched his three lectures about cosmolgy but I don't know GR.Should I take GR for cosmolgy lessons or I can handle it I kow special Relatvity a bit and classical mechanics.I watched his all classical mechanics equations

Quarlep said:
I posted recently on a banned topic, apologies for that. Under advisement of a mentor I've decided to ask a positive question instead, how do scientists estimate the total energy of the universe?"
They don't, as it's not possible. The total energy is an ill-defined concept in General Relativity.

Instead, cosmologists measure the energy density. This is estimated using a variety of methods. The most common are measurements of the expansion history and the spatial geometry of our universe.

Energy density and curvature of the universe are connected . I know In FL equations . If density less than one than k will be negative. Is that means "Universe Total Energy is positive"

Quarlep said:
Energy density and curvature of the universe are connected . I know In FL equations . If density less than one than k will be negative. Is that means "Universe Total Energy is positive"
No. The phrase "Universe Total Energy is positive" is not something that can be evaluated as either true or false within General Relativity: by making different arbitrary choices, you can evaluate it as either true or false with the exact same configuration of the universe.

One possible answer for the total energy of the universe is ... zero: https://www.astrosociety.org/publications/a-universe-from-nothing/

Quarlep said:

No, there is simply no way of defining the "total energy of the universe" in a fashion that is unambiguous. You can define a local energy density, but this will also depend on your frame of reference. In addition, even if you study a FRW universe and define the comoving frame as "the" frame, the energy density multiplied by the volume is not going to give you a constant. Energy (however you want to define it) is simply not conserved in a cosmological setting.

Chalnoth said:
They don't, as it's not possible. The total energy is an ill-defined concept in General Relativity.

I don't know GR but I understand that We have to use GR to calculate universe energy and its noy possible cause its ill-defined.
What do you mean about ill-defined? Is that show us GR is incomplete ? and let's suppose its defined somehow (I don't know its impossible or posssible) Does it mean we can calculate Universe energy (Actually this questions answer depends first ones)

Chalnoth said:
Instead, cosmologists measure the energy density. This is estimated using a variety of methods. The most common are measurements of the expansion history and the spatial geometry of our universe.

Orodruin said:
You can define a local energy density, but this will also depend on your frame of reference. In addition, even if you study a FRW universe and define the comoving frame as "the" frame, the energy density multiplied by the volume is not going to give you a constant.

We can never find Energy of Universe I guess

Quarlep said:
What do you mean about ill-defined? Is that show us GR is incomplete ?
Consider this analogy:
There's a saying that makes sense on Earth: What goes up must come down. If you want to be very precise, you can add 'unless you throw it really, really hard' to account for escape velocity.
It's a good statement about gravity, that holds well locally.

But take it to space, where you're in free-fall (say, in the ISS) and try using that saying. It's not that the saying is now incorrect - it's that up and down are no longer defined. Now you can say that up and down can be defined only in special cases, so any statements using these terms are not generally true.

Does this mean that the theory of gravity is incomplete? No. If anything, it means that your understanding of gravity is good enough to allow you to extend its application to more general regimes, not limited to the special case of the surface of the Earth.

Similarly with energy. Locally, you can say for example that 'the energy is conserved', but take it to a more general regime of the cosmological scales, where the term 'energy' is no longer defined, and the statement about energy conservation stops making sense.

Thanks for your efforts for more detail I need to learn cosmolgy and GR thank you

Quarlep said:
I can't sleep well If I can't get an answer
You should seek medical attention. Some questions simply do not have answers at present and if you cannot sleep without them then you will suffer from insomnia.

I deleted the part of your post complaining about the mentor actions. Such complaints belong only in the feedback forum, not in the technical forums, and certainly not part of a technical discussion.

Last edited:

1. How do scientists measure the total energy of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to estimate the total energy of the universe, including observational data from telescopes and satellites, theoretical models, and mathematical calculations based on the laws of physics. They also take into account the different forms of energy, such as matter, radiation, and dark energy.

2. What is dark energy and how does it affect the estimated total energy of the universe?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Its existence is inferred from observations of distant supernovae and the cosmic microwave background. Scientists take into account the effects of dark energy when estimating the total energy of the universe.

3. How accurate are the estimates of the total energy of the universe?

The estimated total energy of the universe is constantly being refined and updated as new data and research become available. While there is still much we do not know about the universe, scientists have made significant progress in understanding its energy content. However, there is still a margin of error in these estimates due to the complex and ever-changing nature of the universe.

4. Can the total energy of the universe ever be measured with 100% certainty?

It is unlikely that the total energy of the universe can ever be measured with 100% certainty. This is due to the vastness and complexity of the universe, as well as the limitations of current technology and scientific understanding. However, as our knowledge and technology continue to advance, our estimates of the total energy of the universe will become more accurate.

5. How does estimating the total energy of the universe contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Estimating the total energy of the universe is an important aspect of understanding the universe and its evolution. It allows scientists to better comprehend the fundamental laws of physics that govern the universe and how it has changed over time. By studying the energy content of the universe, scientists can also gain insight into the origins and fate of the universe.