How Do Social and Economic Factors Influence Fertility Forecasts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter momentum
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
98 replies · 14K views
lisab said:
That's what I thought too, but I can't figure out why shrinking electronics is "only a sign of the growing population". The fact that I don't want my cell phone to be the size of a brick has nothing to do with population :confused:.

Yeah, I had trouble with the idea behind the statement too. Didn't really want to side track into a discussion on that though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
please look at this English text...


To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical detriments of fertility.
[/color]


what does this word means "social and economical detriments of fertility" ?

I understand individual words though but when it combined what does it mean ? what detriments ? I don't understand this...Could you please elaborate this part ?
 
momentum said:
please look at this English text...


To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical detriments of fertility.
[/color]


what does this word means "social and economical detriments of fertility" ?

I understand individual words though but when it combined what does it mean ? what detriments ? I don't understand this...Could you please elaborate this part ?
Its an interesting choice of words. I am under the impression they are referring to "the social and economic detriment" of having many children.
 
TheStatutoryApe said:
Its an interesting choice of words. I am under the impression they are referring to "the social and economic detriment" of having many children.



detriment = damage.


population forecast ---->demographer have to know ---->social and economic detriment damage.

I don't get the connection here.

what the demographer have to know social and economic detriment damage to forecast a population ? is it really an important parameter ? is it used in other countries ?

Could you please throw some light on this part ?
 
momentum said:
detriment = damage.
No.
Detriment = disadvantage


examples:
"Increased financial stress is one of the detriments of a larger family size."
"We are already in dire straits financially, we can have more children, but to our detriment."
 
momentum said:
please look at this English text...


To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical detriments of fertility.
[/color]


what does this word means "social and economical detriments of fertility" ?

I understand individual words though but when it combined what does it mean ? what detriments ? I don't understand this...Could you please elaborate this part ?

Well it's not clear what they mean. If I had to guess, I think what they were trying to say is:

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical effects on fertility.
 
Further corrected, IMO:
lisab said:
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the negative social and economical effects on fertility.