How do solar neutrinos interact with nuclei to create radioactive elements?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Wantstolearn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutrino Solar
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Wantstolearn
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I was reading about the South Dakota Homestake Solar Neutrino detector and I have a question?

What I am getting from reading about it is that, they detect solar neutrinos by looking for a neutrinos interaction with a (Cl) nucleus to make a radioactive (Ar) Nucleus.

(Ar) is one atomic number higher than (Cl), so how can the neutrino impact create the proton to make (Cl) into (Ar)?

Can the Neutrino's impact with the (Cl) nucleus make one of its neutrons gain a charge, making an (Ar) nucleus?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's an inverse beta decay, neutrino + proton -> neutron + positron