Explaination of beta + decay in layman language

In summary, beta + decay involves the transformation of a proton into a neutron, resulting in a decrease in atomic number by 1. This is possible due to the conversion of mass into energy according to Einstein's famous equation, and it only occurs within unstable nuclei.
Suyash Singh
QUESTION:
I read in book that in beta + decay proton decays to neutron

But i can't understand how it is possible if proton mass is less than neutron mass.I read on net but it says 'quarks' and 'd u p' things which i don't study about currently.

Also why it only happen inside nucleus?What does nucleus do?
EQUATION:
proton>neutron + positron + neutrino
ATTEMPT AT SOLUTION:
I know that beta + will make atomic number decrease by 1.
I know binding energy is from mass defect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember Einstein's famous ##E=mc^2##: mass is a form of energy, so when you say that the proton mass is less than the neutron mass you're really saying that you have to add energy to turn a proton into a neutron. Thus, an isolated proton cannot decay into a neutron, just as you're expecting. But some unstable nuclei may end up with less mass/energy if one of their protons decays into a neutron, and these are ones that will undergo beta+ decay. The total energy of the nucleus is reduced by an amount sufficient to allow the proton to neutron transition.

Last edited:
Likes Suyash Singh

1. What is beta + decay?

Beta + decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a proton within an unstable atomic nucleus transforms into a neutron, releasing a positron and a neutrino in the process. This results in a decrease in the atomic number of the nucleus, but no change in the mass number.

2. How does beta + decay occur?

In beta + decay, a proton in the nucleus is converted into a neutron, and a positron and neutrino are emitted. This is possible because within the nucleus, there are more protons than neutrons, making the atom unstable. By converting a proton into a neutron, the atom becomes more stable.

3. What is the difference between beta + decay and beta - decay?

In beta + decay, a proton is converted into a neutron, while in beta - decay, a neutron is converted into a proton. In both types of decay, a neutrino is emitted, but in beta + decay, a positron is also emitted, while in beta - decay, an electron is emitted.

4. What is the significance of beta + decay?

Beta + decay is a natural process that occurs in unstable atoms to achieve a more stable configuration. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, where radioactive isotopes that undergo beta + decay are injected into the body to track metabolic processes.

5. Is beta + decay dangerous?

Beta + decay can be dangerous if a person is exposed to high levels of radiation from unstable atoms. However, in general, the amount of radiation emitted from beta + decay is small and can be easily shielded. In medical applications, the amount of radiation used is carefully controlled and poses minimal risk to patients.