Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do we define and categorize technology?

1. Mar 26, 2013 #1
    how do we define and categorize technology..??

there are presently different aspects in which the technologies are discussed

if i say semiconductor technology then should it mean..
    1) technology that processes semiconductor materials to get high performance electronic devices..??
    2) technology that uses semiconductor devices to get their information processed..??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    The "xyz technology" is most often a media/marketing useage and, therefore, means pretty much whatever the marketing folk want it to. It would refer to product that has something to do with the label.

Per your example, "semiconductor technology" would be anything that is involved with the the making, modification, usage, and knowledge of tools, machines, techniques, crafts, systems, and methods of organization, etc concerning semiconducting materials.

This is not restricted to information processing or even "high performance" electronics.

Note: There is a field in social sciences called "technology" though, also called STS.

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

The term "semiconductor technology" is practically impossible to define or to catagorize. It encompasses so many aspects that it defies quantification. For example, using Google Search and the terms "semiconductor technology" we find twenty-eight different Wiki pages are in this category:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Semiconductor_technology

Here there are around one hundred separate articles on the subject of “semiconductor technology”
    http://phys.org/tags/semiconductor+technology/

So why the need to define and catagorize the subject?

Bobbywhy

5. Mar 28, 2013 #4
    hello
    amm..so i guess it all depends on perspective and the matter in which the label is associated with the company..and we could say it anything and it all depends on the marketing strategy...
    correct me if i am wrong thanks..!!

6. Mar 28, 2013 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

shivaniits, You are exactly correct: the term "semiconductor technology" is so broad and so vague that it can mean whatever the marketing strategy desires it to mean. You've got it!

Bobbywhy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook