1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do we know the degree of a root which is also a point of inflexion?

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, I was looking at an exam I did last year and tried to solve a question, which at the time I couldn't do.

Unfortunately I'm running into the same problem I had during the exam, so hear me out on this one

Question:
    The graph below has equation y =ax(x-b)(x+c)^d. Write down the values for a, b, c and d.
    whatthefuuu.png

Okay, so there's an intercept at x=-1, so b=-1. There's another intercept at x=3, so c = -3

So, y = ax(x+1)(x-3)^d

Now here's the problem, the answers simply say "d = 3", and then sub in the point (1,-16) and solve for a,

But at x=3 (where it's a point on inflexion), can't the degree (d) be ANY odd number? ie. 3,5,7,9,11,...,999999?

Because that's how I learnt polynomials, a point on inflexion at a root means the degree of the root is odd.

And so that's where I messed up, becausing I couldn't figure what value of 'd' I should use.

I must obviously be missing some sort of concept, so can someone please help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You idea is right - it could be any odd number - so far as you have got.

You now have to ask yourself the question, one of the five or so in Polya's 'How to solve it' book

-

"Am I using all the information I'm given?"

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    I'm aware of the the point (1,-16),

So as you already know that b=-1 and c=-3, sub in the point to get:

-16 = a(1)(1+1)(1-3)^d
    = 2a(-2)^d

Two varibles makes this unsolvable but using guess and check you'll find 3 is the only correct solution (which just makes the whole question practically ****** and pointless).

I was expecting there to be a way to solve the question without guess and check but I guess there isn't any other way...

5. Apr 17, 2012 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, you have used the fact that (1, -16) is a point on the function.

But I think you are supposed to use also the fact that it is a special kind of point, a stationary point.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook