How do we know the electron is not a field of energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electron and how it is not fully understood if it is a fundamental particle or a field of energy. The use of synchrotron light sources and the behavior of electrons in relation to a nucleus are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a recommendation to familiarize oneself with quantum mechanics for a better understanding of the topic.
deddie
TL;DR Summary
How do we know the electron isn't a field?
during physics, I was chatting to a friend, and the conversation reached this question ,I know it is a series of probabilities, but how do we know for certain that it an individual particle, how do we know it is not just a field of energy? (Tell me if I sound stupid)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, got it

deddie said:
Summary: How do we know the electron isn't a field?

during physics, I was chatting to a friend, and the conversation reached this question ,I know it is a series of probabilities, but how do we know for certain that it an individual atom, how do we know it is not just a field of energy? (Tell me if I sound stupid)

In addition, what do you think is going around in circles at the numerous synchrotron light sources around the world? A "field of energy" (whatever that is) that somehow can be steered and focused using electric and magnetic field?

Zz.

Ok, what I was saying is how do we know it "is going around in circles at the numerous synchrotron light sources around the world" How do we know it is fundamental, not a field made of lots of tiny electrons

Because it is not little balls going around another little planet like nucleus

(Also, just asking a question, not claiming its a "Proof")

deddie said:
How do we know it is fundamental, not a field made of lots of tiny electrons

This question is too vague to answer. As best we can tell what you mean by "field of energy" vs. something else, the best answer we can give is the one @A. Neumaier gave in post #2. If you want more information, you will need to formulate a better specified question. It would probably be helpful for you to at least familiarize yourself with the basics of quantum mechanics and how it models things like electrons before doing so.

Thread closed.

1. How do we know the electron is not a field of energy?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations that have provided evidence for the existence of individual particles known as electrons. These experiments have shown that electrons have distinct properties such as mass, charge, and spin, which would not be possible if they were simply a field of energy.

2. What evidence supports the idea that electrons are not a field of energy?

One of the key pieces of evidence is the photoelectric effect, which demonstrates that electrons have discrete energy levels and can be emitted or absorbed as particles. Additionally, the behavior of electrons in particle accelerators and their interactions with other particles also support the idea that they are individual particles rather than a field of energy.

3. Could there be other explanations for the behavior of electrons besides them being particles?

While there are alternative theories that propose different models for the behavior of electrons, these theories have not been supported by experimental evidence. The particle model of electrons has consistently been able to explain and predict the behavior of electrons in various scenarios, making it the most widely accepted explanation.

4. How do we know that electrons are not made up of smaller particles or fields of energy?

Through experiments such as scattering experiments and measurements of electron mass and charge, scientists have been able to determine that electrons are fundamental particles and do not have any internal structure. If they were made up of smaller particles or fields of energy, these experiments would have shown evidence of this.

5. Is there any ongoing research or debate about the nature of electrons?

While the particle model of electrons is widely accepted, there is ongoing research and debate about the fundamental nature of particles and the nature of the universe itself. Scientists continue to study and explore the behavior of electrons and other particles in order to deepen our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter.