B How do we know the electron is not a field of energy?

• Thread starter deddie
  • Start date
Summary
How do we know the electron isn't a field?
during physics, I was chatting to a friend, and the conversation reached this question ,I know it is a series of probabilities, but how do we know for certain that it an individual particle, how do we know it is not just a field of energy? (Tell me if I sound stupid)

Last edited:

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Energy is uncharged, but electrons have charge.

Ok, got it

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Summary: How do we know the electron isn't a field?

during physics, I was chatting to a friend, and the conversation reached this question ,I know it is a series of probabilities, but how do we know for certain that it an individual atom, how do we know it is not just a field of energy? (Tell me if I sound stupid)
In addition, what do you think is going around in circles at the numerous synchrotron light sources around the world? A "field of energy" (whatever that is) that somehow can be steered and focused using electric and magnetic field?

Zz.

Ok, what I was saying is how do we know it "is going around in circles at the numerous synchrotron light sources around the world" How do we know it is fundamental, not a field made of lots of tiny electrons

Because it is not little balls going around another little planet like nucleus

(Also, just asking a question, not claiming its a "Proof")

How do we know it is fundamental, not a field made of lots of tiny electrons
This question is too vague to answer. As best we can tell what you mean by "field of energy" vs. something else, the best answer we can give is the one @A. Neumaier gave in post #2. If you want more information, you will need to formulate a better specified question. It would probably be helpful for you to at least familiarize yourself with the basics of quantum mechanics and how it models things like electrons before doing so.

Thread closed.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving