How do we know the spin of a field?

• I
  • Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Spin
In summary, the conversation discusses the spin of different fields and its relationship with their statistics. The Weyl representation is used to find solutions to the Dirac equation with spin values of 1/2 and -1/2. The scalar real and complex fields are said to have spin 0, but it is unclear how this is determined. The question of why spin is related to statistics is also raised, with the suggestion that it is linked to the representation theory of the Poincare group and the demand for a stable ground state. This is further explained in Weinberg's Quantum Theory of Fields and a manuscript on quantum field theory.
carllacan
If we use the Weyl representation the solutions to the Dirac equation turn out to be eigenfunctions of the S3 operator with eigenvalues 1/2 and -1/2, so we say that the field has spin 1/2.

But what about other fields? Why do we say the scalar real and complex field have spin 0? I tried following the same approach and see if their solutions are eigenfunctions of that operator, but I don't know how to do it.

And side question (should I open another thread?): why is the spin related to their statistics? Everything I've read so far just shows that using commutation relations in the Dirac field quantization gives rise to a non positive-definite hamiltonian, whereas using anticommutation relations doesn't. Then they show that commutators imply Bose-Einstein statistics and anticommutators imply Dirac-Fermi statistics.

In light of this it seems that if the field has integer spin we must use commutators, and if it has half-integer spin we must use anticommutators, but nobody goes on to explain why this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's representation theory of the Poincare group. You first have to get the angular-momentum operator and then diagonalize it in the zero-momentum subspace of single-particle states since relativistically the spin is defined by the representation theory of the rotation group on this zero-momentum subspace.

The spin-statistics theorem is proven by the demand that energy should be bounded from below, i.e., that a stable ground state exists. It turns out that this is achievable with commutator relations for integer-spin and with anticommutator relations for half-integer-spin only. For a detailed explanation, see Weinberg QT of fields, vol. I. A less general explanation can be found in my qft manuscript:

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Likes carllacan

1. How do we measure the spin of a field?

The spin of a field can be measured using a variety of techniques such as scattering experiments, spectroscopy, and magnetic resonance. These methods involve studying the interactions of the field with other particles or fields to determine its spin.

2. What is the significance of knowing the spin of a field?

The spin of a field is an intrinsic property that describes the angular momentum of the field. It is important for understanding the behavior and interactions of the field with other particles, as well as for predicting its properties and potential applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

3. How does the spin of a field affect its properties?

The spin of a field can affect its properties in various ways. For example, the spin can determine the type of interactions the field can have with other particles, the energy levels of the field, and the direction of its magnetic moment. In some cases, the spin can also influence the stability and lifetime of the field.

4. Can the spin of a field change over time?

No, the spin of a field is an intrinsic property that remains constant over time. However, the orientation of a field's spin can change in response to external influences such as magnetic fields or interactions with other particles.

5. Are there any fields with unknown or uncertain spin values?

Yes, there are some fields whose spin values are still not fully understood or are subject to ongoing research and debate. This is particularly true for exotic fields such as dark matter, which have not yet been directly detected and have uncertain properties, including spin.