How Do You Calculate Centripetal Acceleration and Friction for a Car on a Curve?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 16K views
chamonix
Messages
21
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 13500 N car traveling at 50.0 km/h rounds a curve of radius 2.00x10^2 m. Find the following:
a). The centripetal acceleration of the car.
b). The force that maintains centripetal acceleration
c). the minmum coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road that will allow the car to round the curve safely.


Homework Equations


a). ac=vt^2/r
b) i think i would use: Fc=mvt^2/r but I am unsure.
c) i do not know this equation.

The Attempt at a Solution


For a). I have: 14^2/200=0.965
for b). I know the answer is 1.33x10^3 but I am still having difficulties trying to solve this.
for c) I know the answer is 0.0985 but I still have to figure out b). first. Please help me, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
a) is correct
does the 13500 N car refer to its mass?
 
I think so...the question just states "a 13500 N car..." so I was thinking that F=ma so mass=13500/.965=13989.6. But I'm not for sure.
 
chamonix said:
I think so...the question just states "a 13500 N car..." so I was thinking that F=ma so mass=13500/.965=13989.6. But I'm not for sure.

13500 N is the weight of the car, in other words the gravitational force on it. To find the mass of the car, divide the weight by the acceleration of gravity, mass= 13500N/9.80m/s^2

Then multiply this mass by v^2 to find the centripetal acceleration
 
So the mass came out to be...1376.15 kg. Then I used the Fc=mv^2/r equation and got: 1348.63.
Then I use the equation Fc=mus*Fn. 1.34x10^3/9.8*1376.15=.0985.
 
Last edited: