How Do You Calculate Change in Internal Energy in a PV Diagram?

  • Thread starter Thread starter M_CG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
M_CG
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://i41.tinypic.com/r7rq5w.jpg
The question is stated in the picture but I'll restate it:
A gas expands from I to F in the figure. The energy added to the gas by heat is 449 J when the gas goes from I to F along the diagonal path. What is the change in internal energy of the gas? Answer i units of J.

Homework Equations


(delta)U=Q+W (In this case W is negative because the gas is doing work on the system)
W=P(delta)V


The Attempt at a Solution


Since Q is given, I need to find W done by the gas.
Pressure is not constant, but its change is constant so I can use Paverage
Paverage=2*1.013*105Pa
Therefore W=(2*1.013*105)*2.5L=506,500 Joules
Inputting that into the equation for (delta)U:
449 J-506,500 J= -506,051 J

However this answer was incorrect. I also tried calculating work by finding the area under the graph IF, but this was wrong as well. I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. Could someone point me in the right direction?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To get work in Joules (=Nm), you want volume in m^3 not litres, and P in Pa (=N/m^2).

An interesting follow up question would be "how many atoms in each molecule of the gas?"
 
Last edited:
Thank you! I had a feeling there was something funny going on with my units. I also figured out that I was calculating average pressure incorrectly.
Final answer:
W=(2.25*1.013*105 pa)(.0025m3)=569.8125 J
[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=449 J-569.8125 J=-120.8125 J
 
Glad we sorted that out.
Any idea about the atomicity of the gas?
 
Ahh...that question might be a little over my head. I don't know how to go about figuring that one out.