How Do You Calculate Current in Different Parts of a Circuit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mblair90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Currents
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
mblair90
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
RW-25-48.jpg


1. In the circuit of the figure, find the current supplied by the battery.

2. Find the current through the 6[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistor.


Attempt at a solution:

To find the total current supplied by the battery I tried:

[tex]\frac{6*4*2}{6+4+2}[/tex] = 4[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Then I did that resistance in series with the other:

4 + 1 = 5[tex]\Omega[/tex]

Then I figured to find the current I would use I=[tex]\frac{V}{R}[/tex] giving I=[tex]\frac{6}{5}[/tex]. But 6/5 is not the answer for part A apparently. And I have no idea how to get part B.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the total current in the circuit provided by the battery, you need the total resistance. Have you learned the equations for combining resistors in series/parallel? You use that to determine the total effective resistance for the parallel section if it was replaced by a single resistor in series. Then combine that value with the 1ohm one in series.

To find the current through a resistor in parallel, you need to know how current is split in parallel circuits.