How Do You Calculate Deuteron's Velocity After a Neutron Collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter soul5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
soul5
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
I'm at the last equation of my homework and I'm stuck

Homework Statement



In a nuclear reactor, a neutron moving at speed vo (vo is initial speed) in the positive x direction strikes a deuteron, which is at rest. The neutron is deflected by 90 degrees and moves off with a speed vo/*square root of three* in the positve y direction.



Homework Equations



Find the x and y components of the deuteron's velocity after the collision. The mass of the deuteron is twice the mass of the neutron.

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried, but I don't get it.
Plz help me show work if you can thxs.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org