How Do You Calculate Displacement, Average Speed, and Velocity in 2D Kinematics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter uwonki
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    2d Kinematic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
uwonki
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
A motorist drives south at 20.0m/s for 3.00 min, then turns west and travels at 25.0m/s for 2.00 min, and finally travels northwest at 3.00m/s for 1.00 min.

For the 60 min trip, find the total displacement, the average speed and the average velocity.

I'm embarrassed how I still don't understand how to do these questions.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the best way to solve a problem like this is to do it yourself. But, i will tell you what you need to know. Since the velocity is a vector. This is a vector addition problem that requires the use of the kinematic equations to solve. The kinematic equation I would use is
x=1/2at^2+vt Where x stands for displacement, a for acceleration, t for time, and v for velocity.