How Do You Calculate Forces on a Car Traveling on a Banked Curve?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
nugget
Messages
44
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


car is on a banked curve of angle 18o, radius 70m. Mass of car = 1020kg and weight is taken as 1.0x10^4 N. Find the resultant force and the normal force N when the car is at the design speed.


Homework Equations


force diagram equations


The Attempt at a Solution



I calculated Normal force to be 10514.6N
I calculated the resultant force to be the component of the normal force towards the centre of the banked curve, and got 3249.2N

I think design speed just means max speed the car can safely travel around the curve at, I calculated this to be approx. 14.9 m/s but i could be quite wrong.

Are there things I'm forgetting to consider? is this exactly what the question asks for?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I checked your answers and everything, and from what I know, you are completely correct.

By the way, as advice, if you have not already done it in other examples it is good show working on the site, and if possible a vector diagram.