How Do You Calculate Permutations of Repeated Letters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
nickar1172
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Reviewing for finals and got this question wrong:

How many different permutations are there of the letters in the word LOLLIPOP

what I did was 8P8, how would you solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The number of ways to order or arrange $n$ objects is $n!$. So, we want to look at the number of ways to order 8 letters, however, there are 3 L's, 2 O's and 2 P's. Hence, you want to take the total number of ways to arrange 8 letters, and then account for the fact that some of them are identical. Can you state how many would be identical?

edit: I have removed the [SOLVED] label from the title so that our readers don't skip the thread thinking you have already found the solution yet.
 
Yes, although I would simply write:

$$N=\frac{8!}{3!2!2!}=8\cdot7\cdot6\cdot5=1680$$