How Do You Calculate Tension in a String When a Ball Is Submerged in a Fluid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
ChanceHint
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the tension in the string when a ball with unknown mass and volume is lowered on the string into a unknown fluid of density. (The ball is sank under the liquid but not touching the bottom due to the string holding up)

Homework Equations


gravity g = 9.8
mass = m
density = p
volume V = m/p
F=pgv

The Attempt at a Solution


Tension T = pgv?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ChanceHint said:

Homework Statement


What is the tension in the string when a ball with unknown mass and volume is lowered on the string into a unknown fluid of density. (The ball is sank under the liquid but not touching the bottom due to the string holding up)

Homework Equations


gravity g = 9.8
mass = m
density = p
volume V = m/p
F=pgv

The Attempt at a Solution


Tension T = pgv?

Wecome to the PF. I think you will need to include both densities in your equation. The density of the ball and the density of the liquid.
 
I still don't understand;; you mean T= PfGV?;; #_@
 
ChanceHint said:
I still don't understand;; you mean T= PfGV?;; #_@

I don't know what you are representing with that equation.

I'm just saying that the equation would need to have both densities in it, the density of the liquid and the density of the ball. Think of the difference where the ball is made from steel, versus one that is made from a lighter material (but still sinks).